Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please tell me it isn't just me!!! >

Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 AM

I have the same problem.There are 12 qult tops waiting for me to finish it. Then I see a new pattern or new fabric and start on another quilt top. My goal also is to finish all before the year is over. But of course I can't do that since I had started just sit down and sew everyday. Wrong.... I now have the housework and every interruptions thrown at me. Best time for me to quilt is at midnight when everybody is asleep.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM

I try and get all the tops done first, Than cut out batting & backing for only one which I complete up to handsewing the binding. The binding is than set aside till I have another quilt to this point. Than I sit in front of the TV and handsew these two before I go to the next quilt. I don't feel so over loaded this way..
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM

I was doing the same thing, yet I kept buying new fabric. Last December, I decided I absolutely would not buy any more complete sets of fabric for quilts until I had made up the ones I had stored. I don't have them all made up, but I have reduced the inventory significantly. Other than purchasing a bit of fabric here and there to finish up a project, I have pretty much stuck to my commitment. It's crazy to have hundreds upon hundreds of dollars sitting in plastic totes in the cabinets. I intend to stick with this until I get a few more quilts finished and completed. So far so good!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Being a crafter I always have unfinished projects. When I started quilting about a year ago I made a promise to myself only one at a time. I have stuck to the promise and I feel great and less stressed.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:30 PM

I do the same thing. Decided I needed to finish my UFO's. Did get a couple done, but old habits are hard to break, and I keep on thinking of all the new projects I want to start. But at least I have them organized so I'll know where they are when I'm ready work on them!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I was doing the same thing, yet I kept buying new fabric. Last December, I decided I absolutely would not buy any more complete sets of fabric for quilts until I had made up the ones I had stored. I don't have them all made up, but I have reduced the inventory significantly. Other than purchasing a bit of fabric here and there to finish up a project, I have pretty much stuck to my commitment. It's crazy to have hundreds upon hundreds of dollars sitting in plastic totes in the cabinets. I intend to stick with this until I get a few more quilts finished and completed. So far so good!
I used to buy fabric on sale all the time with no real plans for it, just liked it and it was a good price. Had no idea how long it would take to actually use it up. I am making some progress now (after donating a large portion of it), but would love to get to a point to purchase some of the newer patterns, within reason of course.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:47 PM

I feel so much better after reading everyones replies. When I first started making quilt tops, I sewed like a house on fire, then before I knew it, I was starting something else, before finishing the project I was already working on. Also, I started working in a quilt shop. Oh my! I worked there for two wonderful years. It was there that I got addicted to starting something new every time the new order came in with new patterns. I still love it but sometimes it all becomes overwhelming.lol
Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Isn't it funny how those saying we heard from Mother keep popping into our heads. Like "Anything you start on Friday will never be finished." Or" Every stitch you sew on Sunday, you have to pick out with your nose in Heaven." So funny!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM

I have several quilts started, some in plastic containers and others hanging in a closet. I feel no shame when I start a new one. My son says I quilt hoarder. maybe I am.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 PM

I am not sure how many I have going right now - I do know that I am eight leaves and two hearts away from having the applique on a queen size quilt done, then off to find a backing for it, then onto the longarm. I am always working on several handwork projects at once, test blocks for Quiltmaker Magazine (one is sitting all ready to sew right now) and I tend to stay on top of projects with deadlines ...

I have three tops waiting for the longarm but have been working on everyone elses and not mine. My priority in January will be to do one for me, one for someone else, one for me, one for someone else ... we will see how long that lasts ... lol

I was moving things around and found a 66quart tote that had projects in it that I had completely forgotten about - those will have to find their way to completion next year ... yep, that's the plan for now.