Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable sewing chair for retreats >

Portable sewing chair for retreats

Portable sewing chair for retreats

Old 10-27-2018, 05:09 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603109[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of the ones my husband made....These bring me up just high enough to be comfortable to sew...if you need to be a little higher bring a cushion with to sit on...

Originally Posted by Fritzy View Post
On this board awhile back there was a gal who found a link to some chair rollers. What it is basically is that you buy 4 - 3 wheel rollers, I got mine at Harbor Freight, tennis balls, that you make an X on & slit to close to the bottom so you can get your chair leg in, & a bolt to go through the tennis ball. My uncle made mine & it gave me the extra height, since I'm vertically challenged, & also made a regular chair into a rolling one. I still did use a pillow pad to sit on but it worked without too. Needless to say, everyone at the last quilt retreat was checking it out. I'll try & find the pictures of it that were online & post them. I think I also googled how to make chair rollers.
Attached Thumbnails tennis-2-copy.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 05:19 AM

Thanks for pic
Old 10-27-2018, 08:52 AM

Thank you for the information and picture!
Old 10-27-2018, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I usually put two chairs stacked for height. I was taught to sit without my back touching a chair back when sewing. In fact my grandmother's sewing chair was a three legged stool. Back held straight, no jutting forward or hunched shoulders. This was the way our Home Ec teacher taught us to sit when sewing. We could bend our heads down but never stick our necks out. In fact all my teachers insisted on good posture when sitting at our desks at school. And no slumping or slouching ever. LOL Prim and proper for sure but I have never had a back ache from sewing all day or sitting at a desk. Having good posture over the years is very important as we age.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:02 AM

I was at a retreat earlier this month and someone had a bungee cord chair from the Container Store (like this one, but hers was red: https://www.containerstore.com/s/des...BoCPPQQAvD_BwE). It was both lightweight for transport and comfortable. Almost everyone was trying it out.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:43 PM

I had that exact same problem at my first retreat. Table too high, chair too low. I came home with an aching back and legs for days. Could hardly get out of the car.
Next retreat I had a Sew EZ table and an office chair with no arms and an adjustable seat. What a difference!
Loaded it in my hatchback upside down. No more pain!!
Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 PM

Thanks for all the great tips!!
Old 10-28-2018, 04:02 AM

I don't mind sitting in the provided chairs to visit but found most to be horribly uncomfortable while sewing. I purchased a medical type stool which travels easily. I also just purchased a bungee (flat not round cords) chair and find it the most comfortable chair that I have ever owned. I doubt it will go on longer travels but it's my go to close to home.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 PM

At home I have the bungee office chair from the container store and love it! You can can find a coupon on line and it has free shipping.

For my Monday Sewing group I take a special cushion to put on the folding chair. It raises me to the correct height and is softer. It takes a bit to get use to the balance but after a few minutes it's great! https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Disc-Bal.../dp/B00077E32C
Old 10-29-2018, 01:32 AM

My goodness! I also have the bungee cord chair from the Container store. Was actually sitting in it and didn't think of it when I posted before. It is the most comfortable office type chair I have ever sat in, so comfortable in fact that I didn't even think of it. Wanted one after a friend brought hers to retreat, liked it so much that I told my daughter about it and before I knew it.....she sent it to me for my Happy Birthday!