Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Precut SBS >

Precut SBS

Precut SBS

Old 06-16-2016, 03:46 AM

Default Precut SBS

While "rearranging" things in my sewing cave, I came across a packaged, precut sun bonnet sue kit.....from 19??......I think I'd like to open up that kit and do it, BUT I am not a needle turn appliquér......so do you think I could get away with using non woven fusible interfacing....lite weight.....and zig-zag(tiny stitches) onto background squares or just kiss it goodbye and put it into my stack for upcoming garage sale. If I were to do with f/i, do you think I should attach with 1/4" seam or less...as if needle turning? Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions
Old 06-16-2016, 03:56 AM

I'd think since all the pieces already incorporate the seam allowance, it may not be needed to do the 1/4" seam (or less). I would first try the fusible interfacing and then a smaller zig/zag stitch and see how it goes.

I went to a quilt shop in MN where they had a scottie dog quilt called Bitsy and Friends and that is how they did it. Light fusible and small zigs. It was adorable!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I would try the fusible and zig-zags.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 AM

I think that would work just fine. You can also use a blanket stitch. If they have included the 1/4" seam, I would cut it off after applying the interfacing. Otherwise the pieces will be too big.
Sue
Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 AM

If it has an extra 1/4" seam allowance on every piece, some of the smaller pieces may be out of proportion with the larger pieces. For example, a 1/2" hat band with another 1/4" seam allowance is 200% it's regular width, whereas the much larger bonnet with the same seam allowance is maybe only 15% larger.

I would definitely want to lay out all the pieces first to make sure they're going to give you the finished look you want without trimming any of them down, if you're going with fusible. And then I'd go with either Misty Fuse or Pellon 805 and would window the fusible (cut away all but the outer 1/4" before applying to fabric) to make it softer. Typically applique is attached either with a 1/8" buttonhole stitch or a satin stitch, but I've seen ones with zig-zag stitching before & that's cute, too.

The other option you have is to do a turned edge via the freezer paper method. I've done that, tacked the turned edge pieces down with washable glue & stitched by machine. If you can't just use them as is, maybe give this a try!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I always did Sue by EB method using fusible interfacing, sewing 1/4" seam then turning it inside out. Love using a buttonhole stitch with black thread to attach her to the background fabric.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:42 AM

Bree123 has covered all the options I would use. Try them on scraps and see which of the "looks" you like. (Most fabrics come already cut in squares, not shapes, so you can make your own decision to add the 1/4" or not). Bree123 covered these techniques fast but accurately. If you are not familiar with these techniques, get a beginner book on applique techniques and enlarge your skill level, but please don't toss them out. Sun Bonnet Sues are adorable .
Old 06-16-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I always did Sue by EB method using fusible interfacing, sewing 1/4" seam then turning it inside out. Love using a buttonhole stitch with black thread to attach her to the background fabric.
Yes, this was how I was thinking of doing it.....
i don't want to use just a fusible like wonder under, windowing of course. I think this precut kit is including the turn under seam allowance, so fusible interfacing seems to be the alternative to hand turning. Yes, I know about freezer paper using mono thread and tiny zigzag, but I would have to draw the pieces 1/4" smaller onto freezer paper to create the templates. Have done that before.

jane quilter- I am very familiar with all appliqué techniques, so don't need to get a beginner book and enlarging my skill level. I just threw this out to this virtual guild to reinforce what I was thinking as far as " doing" this kit I had forgotten I had. This technique would give me the look of hand app, but for me, not.

The funny side note is now I remember the history of this little SBS. Bought to make for then toddler gd - who now is 22.......I'll make and save for future ggd!