Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Precut Stash Usage Strategy >

Precut Stash Usage Strategy

Precut Stash Usage Strategy

Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

be sure on pre-cuts to remove any sticky paper labels if they have them on the fabric! hate that!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:04 PM

I don’t like to break up collections. When I use them, I’ll add other fabrics to them, but I like to use them together. If I have leftover pieces after doing the front, I piece the remaining pieces for the back.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:42 PM

In the way of precuts, I have primarily purchased 5 inch charm packs. However, my intent for them is to make charm-style quilts - that is, quilts with no repeating fabrics. With that in mind, I usually split my charm packs quickly into bins (the deep ArtBin containers with dividers) by light/medium/dark and color. The only 2.5 inch strip packs I've purchased have almost immediately been made into quilt tops. I think I'd find it more of a challenge to split those up.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:42 AM

I leave the pre-cuts whole. On a very rare occasion I will break up a jelly roll. Part of the joy, for me any way, is that the fabrics in the pre-cut are from the same line and I do not have to worry about colors going together. That said, also on occasion, I will add to a layer cake or jelly roll to make a bigger quilt or two baby sized quilts from one pre-cut. In the end, it all depends on the quilt I am making. For me the worst is open up a pre-cut using part of it and then adding to my pile of scraps! Yuck! I have all I need now.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:15 AM

I have many many precuts that I have accumulated from various sources, usually from a "too good to miss bargain". I prefer layer cakes and jelly rolls, as I can find more uses for them. I keep them together till I am ready to use them. Occasionally I can find 2 sets that can go together and then may break them up a bit. I do a lot of charity quilting, so precuts are a good way to speed through the process, and add a free pattern, and I am all set.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:15 AM

I don’t buy that many precuts...except maybe charm packs which I use mostly for baby quilts and table runners. I have on occasion opened one up to get a few squares for color but don’t take out the focus fabrics that go with the collection.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:44 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606492[/ATTACH]And in Drawer # 1 we find all sorts of jelly rolls and layer cakes, packages of yardage, etc. and this is just the first of 3 drawers. Then in the closets we can locate the bolt that may or may not go with it. It just seems to go on and on. When I turned 70 (2 years ago) I came to the conclusion that I would live another 20 years and it would take that long to sew up my stash. Thanks to the helpers on this board, I have made a UFO list and crossed several things off. The jelly rolls languish, as I tried to use one and discovered it was not cut at 2 1/2 inches, but was all over the board. It's now a UFO. I'm much like gran of 6 who cannot pass up a good bargain. Ordering is so easy, just click here and go to the mailbox several days later.
Attached Thumbnails 20190110_070350_resized.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 AM

Use them for "no-brainer" quilts - when you want to sew but don't want to have to think about pattern or layout. Simply put the pre-cuts together, add solid sashing and donate the finished top to a local quilt guild who could use it for a charity quilt. Either rows of blocks with sashing (self-cut or jelly roll strips), or put together into a large square then cut the large square into four triangles with diagonal slices and insert sashing or make 4-patch or 9-patch blocks surrounded by sashing.....whatever feels right
Old 01-10-2019, 06:04 AM

I find alot of precuts are not precut correctly so tend to stay away from them. Of course this was after I bought a bunch of it beforehand. I find Pat Speth's books uses precut 5" squares and cuts them to 4.5 x 5 so I've used my miscuts 5" as well as my 10 x 10 squares for her quilts. So far I've made 3 oversized lap quilts and am working on a full size quilt for myself using both sizes to rid myself of them. I'd rath cut my own yardage these days.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 AM

I have several charm square packs and a large jelly roll, a layer cake and I am just now working with my first pre-cut(a layer cake outside of a fat qtr.) Oh my, has not been my favorite thing to do. I'll be avoiding purchasing more. To answer your question I do keep together.