Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Press to 'set' seams?

Press to 'set' seams?

I press to set seams before pressing them to one side. I learned to do this from watching MSQC tutorials with Jennie Doan. I was wondering if most people do this? If so, why do we do this? I assume it is beneficial in some way. Interested in the "science" behind this process.
    Last edited by TAMARATJO; 11-19-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    it buries the threads into the fabric, thus making less bulk in the fold.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I hope those who commented will come back and edit their comments. I really want to see them. Thanks for the answer QuiltnNan.

Thanks for asking this. I do it, too, but I'm never quite sure why it is advised.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I've seen Jenny do this but I always forget. I honestly don't know why she does it. Maybe she said so and I didn't catch it.
    ETA- just saw Nan's answer!

Most of the time I do. Seems to make the seam allowance go over easier.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Way back in my garment sewing days I learned to press it the way it was sewn then press how you want the finished seam. The reason given as I remember, was that pressing the way it was sewn first ‘relaxed’ the tension on the stitches and smoothed the small ripples left after sewing. In addition, as QuiltnNan stated above it also buries the thread into the fabric making it easier to turn the seam.

I do it most of the time, but I question if it really does anything.

As others have said, It was my understanding that it allows the stitches to grab hold of the fabric and allow for flatter seams. Couldn’t say if it makes a difference or not because I press and starch everything.
    Lisa

I just read an article a few days ago on this very subject.. Basically, the gals have answered this already but I thought I'd share since I was always curious as to the reason as well.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/pres...chwork-2821455
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I usually do this when piecing blocks. However, I always press to set my seams when I am paper piecing.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    I press to set 99% of my seams before pressing to one side (or sometimes open). Was taught to do it so it became an automatic habit.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I've always read that it's important to "set the stitches" first. The only person that disagrees that I've run across is Janet Pray. She is a clothes designer and teacher. She calls it a myth: http://stores.islandersewing.com/con...%20Handout.pdf

Sewing “Myth Busters”by Janet Pray

“Setting the Stitches”The first time I heard this term I was curious and then as it was explained to me, I wasbaffled! For those of you who have never heard of “setting the stitches”, here is whatthey tell me: You sew the seam then press flat before pressing open (on all types offabrics). This is to “meld” the stitches with the fabric. WHAT? How is that even possible?If it is possible, why isn’t it more difficult to pull the stitches out when needed? I haveasked every expert I know and not one subscribes to or believes in this operation. Myconsidered conclusion: this is an extra step that has no real purpose and will not make any difference in thequality of your project, however it will make your project take a little longer.

I was taught that it relaxes the thread. I can't see the harm in doing it so why not. Besides it really works well with open seams, definitely lay flatter.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

[QUOTE=Cactus Stitchin;8164406] The reason given as I remember, was that pressing the way it was sewn first ‘relaxed’ the tension on the stitches and smoothed the small ripples left after sewing. [QUOTE]

The ripples are what I notice after sewing. After pressing there are no ripples.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Nancy Ziemen always taught that step. Good enough for her. . . .

If you want to prove that it helps - sew two seams and press one, then remove them. For me, set seams take a lot more effort to remove, so I don't believe it's a myth.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.