Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pressing seams open or not?

Question Pressing seams open or not?

I am noticing a lot of tutorials and even on Love of Quilting show the other week that teachers are suggesting pressing the seams open on quilt blocks. What is the consensus on this from you quilters here? How do you press and what are your reasons for doing so? Just trying to decide if I need to change a long-standing habit! Thanks!

I only press the seams open if there is a good reason to, and I find that there seldom is. I think the seam is stronger if pressed to one side, and it's impossible to SITD if pressed open (because there is no ditch). I often SITD to stabilize before doing other quilting.

I agree with Dunster - I think the seams are easier to nest if pressed to one side also.

Banned
    Depends entirely on the pattern. Some work best pressed open, so I do. If it works better one side or the other, I do that too. The quilting will hold it all together, either way.

Currently I press to one side, but if I make another quilt for hand quilting I intend to press the seams open as I think it will be easier to quilt through. So, I guess for me it's a question of how I plan to finish the quilt as to how I will press.

I would only press open if necessary. If the seam breaks batting will be exposed and also lends itself to bearding problems
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Power Poster
    I usually press to the side as seams pressed open can stretch during the quilting and I can see the stitches. You also cannot stitch in the ditch an open seams because you are stitching down the stitches and can break them. I press open the last seam when connecting 2 halves of an 8 point star or similar to reduce bulk in the center. I also press open if I am doing a recut block such as Disappearing Hourglass because the block has to be very accurate to resew back together.

I almost always press open. I've never been able to properly 'nest' seams that are pressed to one side - they always seem to slip no matter how many pins I use! I'm also a hand quilter and do find that it's easier to quilt with the seams pressed open. And, as Tartan says, when you have a block with lots of seams joining together, the block is much flatter when those seams are pressed open.

Usually open. I don't like the hassle of remembering which way to press each seam and then it crosses anyway. I've never had a problem with batting poking through. I use a short stitch length about 2.
    I love my life!

Loads of factors. I usually press to one side. But advocates of pressing open insist there are no issues and their quilt tops lay nice and flat.

But it presents an issue if you want to SITD as Dunster pointed out. There is no ditch with open seams so you will have to ditch a thread width over so you are actually quilting on fabric not a seam.

Judi Madsen of Green Fairy quilts and Margaret Solomen Gunn of Quilts of Love, both amazing, award winning longarmers have written blogs on why they don't like seams pressed open (mostly for the ditching aspect). But they deal with these quilts anyway.

It really boils down to personal preference and another factor to consider is bulk. For example when several seams meet in the center, like a pinwheel block, kaleidoscope block, LeMoyne Star, split Mariners compass to name a few, I will not stitch into my seam allowance in the center so I can swirl that part open. When joining these types of units, I will often start at the center and stitch out to the edges.

I like most people learned to press to the dark side however after watching Shar Jorgensen she always did open seams then after making one of the quilts she made on the show I absolutely understood the whole open seams because of the bulk. So it depends on what I am making.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have pressed open on a couple small sample quilts but do a zigzag stitch down the seams so they aren't exactly a sitd but still connect both seams. I prefer seams to one side.

Blog Entries
    I press to the dark side, and swirl the merging points. But I have pressed open when the pattern calls (elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Forest and other patterns are pressed open because of so many small pieces)......but then I had to do an allover quilt pattern because I could not do a stitch in the ditch

I much prefer seams pressed to the side, for the reasons mentioned, and also because they seem to stay in place better on the back of the quilt. I also prefer the look of seams pressed to the side on the back. I do follow directions with modern quilt patterns and press open when specified, and I'll press open when it seems to make more sense. Right now I'm doing a border with overlapping squares, and it made sense to press the seams open where the like fabrics came together.
    Lisa

I almost said I ALWAYS press to one side. Then I remembered I just started piecing the big block on Bonnie Hunter's En Provence. I am pressing the longer seams open because there are SO many layers! It is such a busy pattern, I think I will do an all-over quilting design anyway. No need for ditches for SID. I guess I better learn not to say ALWAYS and NEVER...I will prove myself wrong!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I press open if I don't want anything specific on the block to stand out.
    What ever piece you press onto will then catch the eye when finished.

I normally press the seams to the dark side. If the directions I use, or it make sense, I press open.
    Normally, the only seam pressed open is in the binding. I think that is better there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
    Currently I press to one side, but if I make another quilt for hand quilting I intend to press the seams open as I think it will be easier to quilt through. So, I guess for me it's a question of how I plan to finish the quilt as to how I will press.
    I hand quilt too. It IS easier.

In my opinion, pressing open the seam might cause the thread to break with hard use or frequent laundering. I have always pressed the seam to one side.

I always press to one side unless I have a bunch of seams coming together making it bulky. Then I'll press them open but that is about the only time I press them open. I don't think there is a right or wrong way though. Just whatever you like & works for you.

I was taught to press seams to one side but I am really getting tired of seams that don't match up. I'm exploring ways to press the seams so I don't burn myself, which I have done many times. Call me a klutz, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Usually open. I don't like the hassle of remembering which way to press each seam and then it crosses anyway. I've never had a problem with batting poking through. I use a short stitch length about 2.
    This is how I do it too.

When I started quilting (1992) I knew nothing and pressed in just any direction. Some while later I did read somewhere to press to the dark, so that is what I try to do unless instructions for a particular pattern say to do something else.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Many good points mentioned here for pressing to one side. I most always do that. I do think feline fanatic's last paragraph is very useful for those situations where lots of seams come together. Works great for me.

Blog Entries
    Rarely if ever is it necessary to press a seam open. It is more stable if pressed to one side. I try to do everything I can to make my quilts last thru tugging, pulling, use (and misuse) and just, in general, life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast