Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing tip I learned last weekend >

Pressing tip I learned last weekend

Pressing tip I learned last weekend

Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 PM

I have been working on a project which has some seams pressed open. So, thanks for the tip. I will immediately start using it.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Great tip. I use it all the time. I learned it here on the quilting board.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:03 AM

Thank you for the tip. This one is new to me and I am definitely going to try it.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chis2 View Post
Now if someone could tell me how to iron out the center fold of the fabric . I have never been able to do that I just try to cut around it but sometimes you can not
I always wash my fabrics when they come home from the store -- mostly because I sometimes store them a long time and don't want any unwanted product eating at the cotton. After washing them I fold them by holding one selvage edge towards itself, then again in half the same way, keeping each selvage edge on opposite sides of longer fold (WOF). Usually I buy half yards or full yards. When they are folded across the grain this way, they are nicely uniform and store easily.

Rarely do I have any problems with the center fold when I take the fabrics out to use. Yes, they need to be pressed, but I have the opportunity to add starch or just iron at that time, depending on the pattern, bias cuts, etc.

My perception is the extra finishing products and pressing is what makes that center crease so defined. By washing as soon as you can, it gets rid of the products and by folding against the grain instead of with it, it will prevent that awful line. Since washing also lets you see if the fabric was cut correctly and straightens out any parts that pulled the fabric off the straight of the grain, it's a 2 for 1 effort.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 AM

Great tip, thanks for posting it.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chis2 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that. I like pressing tips as I still need to learn it. Now if someone could tell me how to iron out the center fold of the fabric . I have never been able to do that I just try to cut around it but sometimes you can not
I use a product called Best Press that I get at my local quilting store. To me it was a great discovery, but apparently it's been around a while. It's sort of a light starch/sizing product that you spray on and it takes the center fold right out. Doesn't gum up the iron. Makes things look brand new. The more times you spray/iron the stiffer the fabric will get, but if you want stiff fabric, just going with regular starch probably is a better choice.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Default tute for pressing

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
I just watched a tute where it was done and I was surprised and here you are telling me again the next day. Think I will remember? Great news, thanks for sharing.
Can u tell me where u saw the tute for pressing?
Thanks myra