Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: prewashing fabric

I usually prewash my fabrics - I could say for all those good reasons everyone else has already noted, but really I do it because I don't like the way fabric feels before it's washed! ;) Yep, it's a touchy-feely thing for me. I've also heard that if you pink the edges before you wash it won't fray, but I haven't tried that. I know I have pinking shears SOMEWHERE in my house, but they may be in THAT room I try not to go into right now because I need to get a new machete & explorer's hat.... :roll:

sue

Thanks Marsh Queen for your info. You all have many good ideas. I know it will take many different trials and errors, especially for a beginner, but I will get there sooner or later :)

In my younger days I used to work in a sewing factory. One place I sewed all the pockets on blue jeans and another I sewed the cotton crotch lining in underwear. By the time the end product actually goes in a box and shipped out it has been handled by maybe 30 or more people. It's been sat on, dropped in the floor, drinks spilled on them and who knows where else it's been. ANYTHING I buy gets washed before I use it. So there's another reason to prewash. OTHER PEOPLE'S GERMS

Blog Entries
    Debbie - I have a friend who has worked in the fabric business for over 40 years and her fingernails are terrible - thin and cracked - and she said she thought it was from handling fabrics and the sizing put in it. Don't know if she's right but it sure sounds possible.

I'm new to quilting too, started in January of this year. But a friend who has been quilting for years told me to just unfold your fabric, put it in washing machine, use just warm water and your usual laundry detergent but just wash it for a minute, then let it rinse, and put it in the dryer. Then it usually needs to be ironed before cutting. Of course, you will cut off the frayed ends when you square it up. Good luck.

I always zigzag my fabrics before washing them to get the sizing out. I just don't want to lose a penny of fabric. I'm real cheap and stingy with my fabrics, :evil: :lol:

Sharon

mine gets in a mess too. i don't think there is any way to keep that from happening. i just cut it off before putting it in dryer, then have to trim it again after drying in order to get nice straight edges.

Sharon, that's a great tip, I'll definitely do that from now on. thanks.

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine works for a big dept store, and she told me that since a lot of the clothing (and some fabrics too) come from other countries we need to wash everything before using, wearing and even handling. What we have banished as harmful chemicals, other countries may still be using, as well as in some cases pesticides if they are being shipped from other countries...

I am going to buy a pinking rotary blade and give my fabric edges a quick trim and see if the fraying is stopped or minimized.

amma, that's a great tip too, I'll try that too, thanks.

and your cat is just darling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2