Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Price increase in thread

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    If cotton fabric is increasing, I am not surprised to hear that cotton thread is too :(
    Have you seen the cost of batting lately? YIKES!!

Will the price increases ever stop?! GRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by owie
    I don't have the money to run out and stock up on everything that is going up in price. I am not planning to spend much next year on fabric or anything that is involved in quilting unless I need it to finish a quilt. I will be stashbusting.
    I know exactly how you feel! I LOVE quilt stores and yesterday my sister and I went to Oklahoma Quiltworks where I bought her a new quilt book for Christmas. Then we drove to Prairie Quilts in Hennessy, Oklahoma where I bought her a gift certificate for the store. I was sooooo tempted to buy a ton of fabric but I managed to stick to 1/2 yard of red batik for a quilt I have planned and 1 yard of fabric for an apron for my son for Christmas. I have so many patterns and quilt kits that I've purchased the last couple of years that my goal this year is to finish the 3 quilts I've started and ONLY sew from my stash and hopefully the quilt kits I have already! I did break down and also purchase 6 spools of thread from Hancocks this week because they had 400 yd spools of white or black for only $1.39 a spool. (And...off the subject...my goal is to improve my machine quilting on my home sewing machine so I can finish the quilts I'm piecing.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    A blurb in the newspaper from a LQS said thread will be going up $1 a spool in January, so stock up now. I'm going in tomorrow to buy myself a gift certificate - they offer 15% off when used, so I'll check on the thread.
    I think I'm going to order me some big spools!!!!

I bought a spool of dual duty yesterday. It only had 250 yds and cost $2.65 +.16 tax for a total of $2.81. I am going to empty all my old spools before shopping again. I saw some fabrics (batiks) that were 15.99 a yd. Guess my quilts will be scrappy.

Home Sew and Newark Dressmakers supply web sites have good deals on large spools of thread. I think I am well stocked after getting an order earlier this year. For bobbin thread and fancier stuff I go to the Superior web site. It does pay to buy in bulk. Still I am still surprised at how fast I can run one of those big cones out...

Joann's will be having a sale beginning December 30 and ALL THREAD IS 1/2 OFF thru January 2, 2011.

MTS you hit the nail on the head with your comments regarding quilt shop owners and their lack of business know-how!!! It is exactly the reason so many lqs are failing.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Good thing I recently stocked up from Connecting Threads and ThreadArt.
    I just ordered thread from Connecting Threads, also. I received an email from them announcing that, due to the increase in cotton prices, they will be increasing the price on their fabrics. I guess we all should try to stock up on some fabric and that isn't easy for those of us on limited incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    Joann's will be having a sale beginning December 30 and ALL THREAD IS 1/2 OFF thru January 2, 2011.
    What is the best thread to buy? Cotton, polyester, Guterman's, Coats & Clarks? I began learning to quilt (self-taught, w/help from you all) this year and am still learning a lot about fabrics and threads. How many of you use the large cones of thread? I just ordered a thread stand from Connecting Threads and am considering trying the large cones.

Blog Entries
    I use the large cones most of the time. But still do use the Star and coats and Clark spools too.

Thread drying up doesn't need to be a problem. If you put your older thread in a baggy and place it in your frezzer, when you take it out it will be restored to its original strength.

You can bet that anything with cotton in it, i.e. thread, will go up next year. Thats a sad fact, but one we will all have to deal with.

Lanny

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    What is the best thread to buy? Cotton, polyester, Guterman's, Coats & Clarks? I began learning to quilt (self-taught, w/help from you all) this year and am still learning a lot about fabrics and threads. How many of you use the large cones of thread? I just ordered a thread stand from Connecting Threads and am considering trying the large cones.
    Is the question: What's the best thread to buy?
    Or: What's the best thread to buy at Joann's? :wink:

I find the best values in thread selection at Joann's are:

Coats & Clarks Cotton 1200yd #50 spools. They retail for $5/spool but are almost always on sale (40% or 50% off) or couponable (my word). They are a bit linty but you can't beat the price. I use this for piecing all the time. It's also great QAYG work - not the quilting, but the joining of the blocks.

Signature threads - my Joann's had a nice display of different variegated threads. I think there some poly, triglobal (?) or something like that, and cotton. The retail prices ranged from $5-$8, but I bought a bunch of the cotton spools when there was a BOGO. The cotton spool is 500 yds #40. I stocked up on Primary/Brights.

I don't do any embroidery so I can't speak about the rayons.

Connecting Threads cotton threads are a GREAT value, and I don't think you'll beat their prices on cones - especially if you've already invested in a thread stand.

Off the subject. Try the batiks at connecting threads. If i counted correctly there are over 30 different ones. I think they are $6.99 a yard. I am wanting to try them. If I get ambition enough next year I want to try them in a quilt for my son and his wife. I am hoping they will put them on sale next summer so I can get them at a discount.

I should have also added that with the coupon, you can get an additional 10% off your total purchases at Joann's. I think it is worth a trip and a look. Good time to stock up on thread. I know that Walmart can be less expensive but they have limited their color and size selection.

Not only are the prices going up but the spools have goten
    SMALLER.!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Blog Entries
    Since I've had a serger for many years, I have lots of cones in assorted colors. I have been using mostly serger thread for piecing and quilting. ALOT cheaper. I have to watch my budget very carefully, and Maxilock works for me. :lol:

Try Connecting Threads. The thread is very good quality and price is right. Comes in a jillion colors, too.

Prices going up, size of spools going down. Same with yardage, soon we will be back to 36" in WOF. Sad to think of, but we will prevail

Blog Entries
    The best way to save money for cotton quilting supplies is to buy cotton socks/underwear/teeshirts/jeans NOW. In a few months they will be at much higher price increase then the cotton thread. I stocked up on the the basic cotton clothing DH and I like. He seems to go through socks and tees very fast.

Every thing is going up, it's crazy, I went and got fabric for my appliqué pieces for my present and spent $40! I was surprised, it really makes me not want to quilt that much. I don't have enough scraps. I really dont see the economy getting any better.

And I use mostly gutterman thread, I love it, has let lint and it doesn't mess up my machine

Blog Entries
    I buy hats wholesale to embroider and was told that cotton is going sky high very soon and the prices will be passed down to guess who. I suppose that means thread also. I've read it is because cotton has to be planted every year. The new hot item seems to be anything made from bamboo because it re-grows by itself. This is just what I've heard. I'm not sure there is a reason needed to raise prices on anything anymore.

Dee
    Everything goes up and yet we are told everything is looking up-where?? Our gas is 3.09. Now the quilters must see their only enjoyment go up to. When and where will it end.

My feeling about Connecting Threads, thread is it is nice, but doesnt go too far. Rather thick and so when you wind a bobbin, its gone before you know it. Anyone else feel like this?

Also wondering what brand of cone thread you use. Some people like it and some do not. I use it for some projects as well.

Am I glad I stocked up during my obsessive phase. I doubt I'll have to buy any thread for the rest of my life unless its a special quilting thread. I have boxes and boxes of thread. Good for me!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast