Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Price for used quilting magazines

Lightbulb Price for used quilting magazines

we are having our semi-annual quilt sale and will have quilting books and like new (condition) quilting magazines. Not sure to price them based on today's prices on magazines. Is .50 Cents to high. I was thinking .25 was too low. Any ideas would be appreciated. We do use some of our profit on Quilts of Valor and Casa for foster children and have made almost 200 pillowcases for children with special needs.
    Lizzy in La.

Banned
    I don't think .50 is too high, and I'm kind of a cheapskate.

I was looking through one at W-Mart the other day, didn't want to buy it, just wanted to see what was in it. Hubby saw me looking and wanted to get it for me. I'm a cheapskate too, and said I didn't want it, I can get inspiration/tutorials free online. He insisted until he saw the $10 price...that convinced him I was right I would say $1 is more like it, especially since the proceeds are going for a good cause.

If your show/sale is like the one in Pensacola, you will be overwhelmed with them. 25 cents is fine. We had so many at the last show, they started giving them away.

Power Poster
    You could do "deals" -

Examples: $1.00 each - 6 for $5.00
    $0.50 each - 12 for $5.00

I would only be wiling to pay $0.25 for a magazine, even though $0.50 is very reasonable.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-01-2017 at 09:39 AM.

I buy them for 50 cents all the time at the thrift stores here. The show I was at this weekend sold them for 35 cents until the last day, when they dropped to 10 cents on Sunday. By Sunday, the only ones left were 20-30 years old.

Blog Entries
    our guild bundles them by year... putting a note on the top for which issues are included as sometimes one may be missing for the year
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I'm on of those cheapskates too, but I think .50 is fair. Of course bundles like mentioned above are always good too. My LQS has one special sale day a year and they had a table covered w/piles of magazines when I went and that was close to closing time so I have to wonder how many were there to begin with. The price was .50 each or 4 for $1.00. I don't have any subscriptions so I always enjoy getting the used magazines.

I give my magazines away. Occasionally I tear out a pattern that I like, so I figure free leaves nothing to complain about. I usually tell the person that I am giving them to that some pages may be missing. If they want the pattern bad enough, they can usually buy the magazine from the publisher. jmho
    Sue

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I took a few with me up north to my sister-in-law and recycled others also after giving my neighbor first dibs on the rest.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
    I buy them for 50 cents all the time at the thrift stores here. The show I was at this weekend sold them for 35 cents until the last day, when they dropped to 10 cents on Sunday. By Sunday, the ****only ones left were 20-30 years old****.
    And THOSE are the ones *I* would be looking for!

Thanks to all. I think we will just sell them for .25 each and I hope they will sell. Any that don't, will be sold or given toour guild members after the sale ends.
    Lizzy in La.

Power Poster
    P.S. If a magazine has missing pages - PLEASE put a note on the cover stating that fact!

Even if a magazine is "free" - I like to know if it is complete or not before I take it home.
    Of course, a buyer can flip through the magazine to check it out before buying it, but if it is crowded at the table, that does not always work out well.

At the risk of sounding rude, I wouldn't waste money or time a partial magazine. If you are tear out patterns or even coupons, please just put them in the recycle bin. The places you donate them to don't have time to go thru and see if they are complete, and I gotten home with a few and just wanted to go back and demand my money back. (I didn't but I wanted to, so now I don't even look at the magazines anymore.)

If the patterns are in the magazine I would definitely charge $1.00 or even
    $2.00! If no pattern pages.. .25 or .50

Blog Entries
    I recently went to a once a year guild garage sale and they had a whole table full for free depends on your area so you could try one price and if you get lookers and no buyers then drop your price

Bearisgray has a good idea 50 cents each or 12 for $5.00 is about right and making a deal like that will encourage people to buy at least 12. My favorite thrift store raised prices from .29 each to .99 each, so I no longer consider even looking at them. Usually, donated quilt mags range from current to 10 or 15 years old. 50 cents is enough.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

At our quilt show last year, we had the quilt magazines on a table with a pitcher for "Free will offerings". We made quite a bit on that and a lot of magazines were GONE. Some will drop a dollar or a five, but most will give something.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher