Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines >

Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines

Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines

Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
........... but it nothing next to FMQ on my Sweet Sixteen. That extra space is so worth it. Plus I think the Sweet Sixteen makes prettier stitches. It's simple, does one thing and does it well.
I think that high clearance and ability to really see what you are doing would be such a joy ....... and one reason why I still lust over an S16 (or similar). Lucky you to have it!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Interesting. The Babylock dealers here in MO vehemently dispute that. Babylock is headquartered here in St. Louis so it is an easy find for me.

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Sorry but Babylock machines ARE manufactured by Brother; you need only to look at the interface to know that. But the Babylock rep confirmed this for me at the Houston Quilt Festival last year.
;l ni\
Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Their offices are there, but the machines are made in the same facility as Brother and Juki, as explained by my Juki dealer.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 AM

When ever you buy something that is different or special it's always more. Like I kind of want to do the glutten free for a while to see if it makes a difference but it cost 3 times the amount of regular flour product. I like the idea of a sit down due to back problems when standing too long. Viking either is or has just came out with a sit down as well so I'm really considering that. I've had great luck with Viking machines. But you can't compare a longarm or a sitdown with a regular machine no matter what the size of throat because they aren't the same. That's like comparing a laptop to a tablet, two different thing even though they are in the same computer category they are different and have different capabilities.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM

Does anyone have a Bailey's that can answer this:
How "tall" is the throat of the machine?
I've never seen one in person, but it appears that it is shorter than the sweet 16.

A 15" machine for $2000 is a great deal (I'd have my husband make a table instead of paying $500 for one from them).

But if the throat is short, even all that extra space doesn't seem nearly as great.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
.........How "tall" is the throat of the machine? I've never seen one in person, but it appears that it is shorter than the sweet 16. ............
But if the throat is short, even all that extra space doesn't seem nearly as great.
Exactly!
That was one thing I marvelled at when I test drove the S16 .... all the clearance.
What a great view you had of your quilt and of your quilting.
Plus of course, the extra space that gives for outmaneuvering the quilt sandwich.

The wider DSM throats are great.
But they just do not give you the vision you get with the S16.
And can be cause for a lot of push and shove thru the hole when doing a larger quilt.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I've been drooling over the idea of buying a Sweet 16, lowest price I've found is $4995, without the stitch regulator. Pros - FMQ much easier, Cons: doesn't offer any other features.
Part of the price you are paying is not for the machine itself, but for the table it sits in. I bought a Sunshine 16 from Pennywinkle Valley Ranch (www.sunshine16.com), because they had a machine that will sit on any table and is completely portable. It is 100% made in the USA (if that is important to you), and the owner of the company is available by phone anytime you have a question or need advice. It doesn't have a stitch regulator. I purchased my machine for approximately $1,750 two years ago at the Houston Quilt Festival. The price had not gone up last year, but now, in addition to the machine with the 16-inch throat they have one with a 24-inch throat (which I think comes with a table).
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 AM

I have the Babylock Tiara and love it. I have FMQ on my Ellisimo and the Babylock Jane. It is so much easier with the Tiara. I also looked at the stand-up long arm on a frame, but since I have rheumatoid arthritis, that much standing was not possible. I love the fact that my sitting position is at the end of the machine. For me, the investment is worth it as I have already quilted 40 charity quilts this year. Best wishes for success and enjoyment which ever machine you choose.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM

One of the advantages I've found with my S16, along with the obvious size and position of needle differences is that for most quilts I've done basting is not necessary. I just use a few pins and a spritz of basting spray. Sometimes I use Elmer's school glue mixed 1/2 and 1/2 water with a drop of dish detergent in a spray bottle. This week I quilted four Project Linus quilts for guild members, all but one of which was just smoothed out on my cutting table, backing, batting and top. The one was spray basted by the quilter. I would not baste anyway, as pulling out basting stitches that have been machine quilted over would be a nuisance. I use a few pins on the edges, but taking them out as you go is also a nuisance. You just need to get used to smoothing as you go along to keep layers in place. I've done one queen size, no kings, but many lap, twin and crib size. The quality of the machine is so great, and it's true that it is made for way more stitches than a domestic machine. Love the comparison of laptop to desktop. So true! It was a real stretch to buy the demo S16 I got, but I have not regretted it.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM

Skittl1321-why not call Chuck at Bailey and ask him any questions you have?