Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "To Prewash (fabric) or Not" that is my question (to you.) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22-prewash-fabric-not%22-my-question-you-t120664.html)

cny_sewer39 05-03-2011 09:22 PM

Good Morning Every1,

I have a question for you all. Do you prewash you fabrics for quilts :?: If you do, what type of "soap" do you use :?: I have heard there is some kind of soap (that Liz Porter uses to wash her quilts in) that you can find at a local feed store. I have NO CLUE what its called or even how to spell it. :lol:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

:-D :-D :-D Have a blessed day. :-D :-D :-D

:thumbup: :thumbup: debra :thumbup: :thumbup:

YukonViv 05-03-2011 09:27 PM

Sorry I can't help you with the soap question, I generally don't prewash.

I did once, and it was for a class and it was recommended that I just use hot water and then hang to dry...the fabric isn't dirty so does it really need soap?

Anyway, I prefer not to prewash, and then wash the entire quilt with regular soap (tide, gain, whatever is on my shelf at that time).

Bluelady 05-03-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by YukonViv

Anyway, I prefer not to prewash, and then wash the entire quilt with regular soap (tide, gain, whatever is on my shelf at that time).

Ditto! same here

tangledthread 05-03-2011 09:31 PM

I just started pre-washing after I spent 5 months on a quilt to have it shrink..I only use tide cold water and so far no problems with color running at all. I have a front load waher and dryer. As for batting, I just get it good and wet in the tub and dry it on high. As long as it doesn't shrink after, I am happy!

Annaquilts 05-03-2011 09:44 PM

I used to prewash and steam iron everything till I realized I really like the puckered shrink look and feel. Also if you are allergic to the fabric you might want to prewash it with something like ALL free. There is something in there to make it more stiff and sometimes I react to it. Now I often have mixed fabric some washed and some not in the same quilt. Bad girl, I know! Having this stifner in it does make it nicer to cut with.

Painiacs 05-03-2011 10:08 PM

I know me too sometimes I do but occas I don't. Use tiny Amy of arm & hammer

Gramie bj 05-03-2011 10:17 PM

I wash everything when it comes into the house with sent free laundry det,and I use shout color catcher cold water, warm dryer. If fabric is going to shrink or run I want to know before I spend all that time ironing, cutting piecing and quilting. I use spray starch just before I cut.

quilt-fanatic 05-03-2011 11:53 PM

I just got finished washing and ironing all the fabric I bought in Paducah. Gonna make a Red, White and Blue quilt and don't want the colors to run. Fabric is all ready to be cut and sewn now.

Farm Quilter 05-04-2011 12:02 AM

I wash all fabric larger than a charm square in my regular detergent but without fabric softener. I'll either dry it in the drier or hang it, depending on how I feel! I don't iron the material until I'm going to use it. That said, there are a few patterns where you are specifically told not to pre-wash (stack-n-whack, OBW, etc), so those I don't wash, but I know what material I am going to use for them.

With all the chemicals they spray on the fabric in the warehouses to keep the bugs away, I just don't want to work with that...I have asthma and try not to make it worse.

ckcowl 05-04-2011 12:18 AM

when i pre=wash i use my regular laundry detergent- no fabric softener- i'm removing chemicals-don't want to add any-
the (quilt-soap) is called ORVIS i think it is actually a bar and you shave some off and add to the water. how ever it comes- it is supposed to only take a little and last a long time.
i have never looked into it- i figure if my detergent is good enough for my clothes, it's good enough for fabrics too.