Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Birds nest" THANK YOU!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22birds-nest%22-thank-you-t67541.html)

DeniseP 09-30-2010 07:50 AM

Thanks to all of you who offered help in my birds nest dilemma. Someone else on the board here referred to them as "my machine barfing up a bunch of thread" which I think sounds much more accurate.

It seems that holding both threads as I begin to stitch helps. That is where I was having the problem, when I began to stitch. This was not just on quilts, it was on anything which made it that much more annoying. Anyway, I think my problem was solved by rethreading, cleaning out the bobbin case (wow, lots of barf in there) and holding the thread. Again, many thanks!!! 8-)

cabbagepatchkid 09-30-2010 08:34 AM

My machine was doing that, once, and the repair man told me I had it threaded incorrectly :roll: I'm glad that you figured out your problem.

amma 09-30-2010 08:35 AM

Happy to hear that you got the problem solved :D:D:D

Dragonfly Nana 09-30-2010 08:39 AM

Another "trick" is to start with a scrap of fabric then feed in the item you want to sew.
I do this alot when I am piecing. If I don't my first piece gets yucked on.

Quiltforme 09-30-2010 12:02 PM

Yeah good for you!!!

watterstide 09-30-2010 12:04 PM

"leaders" do help..but my Janome 6600 spits up all the time, it makes me mad, because i just don't think i should have to hold both threads, on a new/modern machine.
but i do now..

ckcowl 09-30-2010 12:10 PM

it is important to have a 'happy machine' to always clean out under the bobbin area EVERY time you change the bobbin. if you take the few moments every time to do a quick clean (i use paint brushes) your machine will love you and behave for many happy years to come.

Originally Posted by DeniseP
Thanks to all of you who offered help in my birds nest dilemma. Someone else on the board here referred to them as "my machine barfing up a bunch of thread" which I think sounds much more accurate.

It seems that holding both threads as I begin to stitch helps. That is where I was having the problem, when I began to stitch. This was not just on quilts, it was on anything which made it that much more annoying. Anyway, I think my problem was solved by rethreading, cleaning out the bobbin case (wow, lots of barf in there) and holding the thread. Again, many thanks!!! 8-)

Jamiestitcher62 09-30-2010 12:36 PM

Yea, I traded in my 6600 because it ate my fabric all the time and I got the nest as well. However with the autocutter you don't have both threads to hold because the bobbin thread isn't visible after cutting, only the top one. So that kind of makes the autocutter useless if you have to pull up the bottom thread every time anyway, might as well just snip them with scissors instead.

Mary M 09-30-2010 05:09 PM

My Janome 6600 does the same thing. I am not fond of pulling up the tread each time I start to sew something. For what is supposed to be a professional machine it sure doesn't want to act like it.

Originally Posted by watterstide
"leaders" do help..but my Janome 6600 spits up all the time, it makes me mad, because i just don't think i should have to hold both threads, on a new/modern machine.
but i do now..

littlehud 09-30-2010 06:20 PM

I'm glad you got it all taken care of.