Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Dear Jane" question - where do you begin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22dear-jane%22-question-where-do-you-begin-t152212.html)

emerald46 09-12-2011 03:34 AM

lol..Lucy that is the only way I would ever complete a DJ!

J.M. 09-12-2011 04:13 AM

I've started making a few DJ blocks as well; I'm making a scrappy one with fabric leftovers from finished quilts. There's a list somewhere here on the board (not entirely sure where) that has the blocks and triangles divided into easy, moderate, and hard. I'm starting with the easy blocks and working my way up to the hard ones. Whenever I complete a block, I just put a note in pencil next to it in the book.

gollytwo 09-12-2011 04:20 AM

I bought the whole kit and kaboodle (even the carrying case) a few years ago in a moment of extreme buying weakness
Have never even made a block and probably never will.
A fool and her money ....

materialgrl 09-12-2011 10:23 AM

Just curious, what did something like that cost,or is that to personnel.

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I bought the whole kit and kaboodle (even the carrying case) a few years ago in a moment of extreme buying weakness
Have never even made a block and probably never will.
A fool and her money ....

VaNella 09-12-2011 10:35 AM

I made about 30 blocks then stopped. I am making a table runner with the ones I finished because my skills have improved and I want to start over. When I pick it up again, I plan on making 6 inch blocks and doing only my faves.

Good luck on your journey and have fun making friends!

MTS 09-12-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by materialgrl
Just curious, what did something like that cost,or is that to personnel.

Here's a full kit:
http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...&Item_ID=18942

Doesn't even include the book, but it does some with instructions (which the book does NOT have). Although, there is so much info available online, you wouldn't be totally lost without information.

Basically, $2.15 a block/triangle.

Doesn't sound so outrageous in those terms. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

gollytwo 09-12-2011 12:27 PM

[quote=materialgrl]Just curious, what did something like that cost,or is that to personnel.
[quote=gollytwo]A fool and her money ...

Not too personal
But, I don't remember.
I may be a fool but there's no way I spent $400+ on a whim.
If anyone is interested I can list what I've got (after I find where I stashed it).

Jennifer22206 09-12-2011 12:33 PM

I started my DJ one year ago June (June 2010) and I've got over 75 blocks done, 5 triangles and one kite.

I'm not doing them in any particular order, just picking one and running with it.

My fabric selection is totally scrappy - I'm aiming to have not one fabric duplicated in my DJ except for the background and sashing fabric. So far, so good.

I do recommend the CD to purchase. I know it's more money, but for the paper piecing and changing of sizes (if you want to) it's totally worth it.

Millstream Mom 09-13-2011 05:07 AM

What the heck have I gotten myself into??! With the greatest of confidence I printed off the instructions from the "Dear Jane" site for block A-1 which is 'Pinwheel Gone Awry' - which called for making QST's....I merrily sewed and thought "My soul! This isn't so bad! And look at how cute this tiny little pinwheel is!" I felt quite pleased when I saw all my points matched :)
Then I looked at the photo again. Something wasn't quite right... My tiny little pinwheel was the size my ENTIRE block was supposed to be! I had sewn HALF-Square triangles instead of quarters!

A lesson learned.... never try miniatures without at least one cup of coffee in your system!

Gollytwo... if you still have that CD I'm interested!

VaNella 09-13-2011 08:56 AM

That store has lovely things, but it is way overpriced. I'm sure you can get it for less.
[quote=gollytwo][quote=materialgrl]Just curious, what did something like that cost,or is that to personnel.

Originally Posted by gollytwo
A fool and her money ...

Not too personal
But, I don't remember.
I may be a fool but there's no way I spent $400+ on a whim.
If anyone is interested I can list what I've got (after I find where I stashed it).