Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "I Love binding my quilts" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22i-love-binding-my-quilts%22-t133756.html)

JANNY 06-28-2011 07:18 AM

I know there are a lot of quilters who do not like to do the last thing to finish on their quilt, the binding. I love to sit and do that hand binding. It is very relaxing for me and I love it. I was wondering if there is a market out there for this service? Does anyone do this? Charge by the size? What liability is involved with the quilt? Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Gladys 06-28-2011 07:30 AM

Wow sounds great to me because the few things I've tried that was the hardest.

ptquilts 06-28-2011 07:45 AM

doesn't seem like it would be worth it to ship it to you for binding, so you would be limited to folks in your area.

charismah 06-28-2011 07:52 AM

I am a long arm quilter. I have a friend that loves to bind so I offer her service to my customers...which works out really nice. People are already shipping their quilts to me..so I just have Beth Bind them and then ship them back. So if you want to make this a job maybe you should contact quilters in your area and hand them a flyer so they can pass on your info.
:thumbup:

frarose 06-28-2011 07:59 AM

The above sounds like a great idea. Where I take my quilts for longarm they charge only $10 for binding. Get in touch with long arm quilters and I'm sure they have customers who would love this service.

Originally Posted by charismah
I am a long arm quilter. I have a friend that loves to bind so I offer her service to my customers...which works out really nice. People are already shipping their quilts to me..so I just have Beth Bind them and then ship them back. So if you want to make this a job maybe you should contact quilters in your area and hand them a flyer so they can pass on your info.

Candace 06-28-2011 08:07 AM

Some longarmer or commercial people have binding machines. They can charge a reasonable rate because it's not done by hand. There's no way in *heck* I'd charge $10 for a King size quilt;>

Yup, if I had the extra space and cash a commercial binding machine would be high on the list!

Murphy 06-28-2011 08:23 AM

I am sure there is a market for binding. Keep us posted if you choose to offer this as a service and your charges (smile).

natalieg 06-28-2011 08:46 AM

I am in the same boat, I love to do the binding. When I go to quilt retreat, I usally only sleep about 3 hours a night and end up binding someones quilt to break up the monotony. At quilt group here at home, I almost always offer. It is a very relaxing thing for me.

BrendaY 06-28-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by charismah

This is exactly the way I started my mailing list service business years ago.. just called all the mail houses to find out if they needed this service. One said they'd been trying to find someone to do just that part of the service they provided their customers. Word of mouth is the best advertising of all... Good luck!

craftybear 06-28-2011 09:34 AM

Good luck and keep us updated

Craftybear