Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Quilters" do you fall in this category? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22quilters%22-do-you-fall-category-t56462.html)

Dolphyngyrl 08-07-2010 02:08 PM

No, I just turned 30 yesterday, live in a 2 bedroom apartment, probaby have 3000 in tools including my machines, only have a enough fabric for a few projects maybe 200 dollars worth if that, use my dining room table to sew, no specific room for sewing

Quilting Nana 08-07-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
No, I just turned 30 yesterday, live in a 2 bedroom apartment, probaby have 3000 in tools including my machines, only have a enough fabric for a few projects maybe 200 dollars worth if that, use my dining room table to sew, no specific room for sewing

Dolphnygyrl
That's the way I started out. The dinning room table and a few scraps of fabrics. Then with each project I always bought more than I needed and that started my stash.
Where in So. Cal are you? I am in La Verne.

cindyg 08-09-2010 05:22 PM

Close. I will be 60 in November. I have a spare bedroom converted into my sewing room. I don't think I'm quite up to par on my fabric because I only purchase fabric that I need for a specific pattern - I don't buy just because I think it's pretty because I have no room to store it. Machines - I'm over - just got a Janome Horizon, I have an embroidery machine, a serger, and an HQ-16 on the studio frame. Machine wize I probably won't buy another machine as I have everything I want and need. Now if I could just retire so that I can use my machines as much as I want..........

momski 08-09-2010 07:39 PM

I fit everything too except that I am about 32 years off on the age.

arpdesigns28 08-09-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by pvquilter
Read this in an article and thought I would share:
Just a few quilting statistics:
*The average age of quilter is 62 years old.
*About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.
*On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.
*A quilter will also have $3700.00 invested in purchased fabric.

Is this you? I know I fall in that category. Give me your thoughts. :lol: :oops: :roll:

Ok, I'm not 62, but I have invested in a similar amount of fabric. And, last week's order from Hancocks of Paducah may have gotten me close to that number! Also, y'all got to check out the clearance on Hancocks of Paducah's website- good stuff.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

MNM 08-11-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt

*About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.
*On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.

Is this you? I know I fall in that category. Give me your thoughts. :lol: :oops: :roll:

NO!

*27 years old
*Sew at the kitchen table.
*Even with my Brother maching I MIGHT have 1500 dollars worth of tools and supplies.
*If I have 150 dollars worth of purchased fabric I'm lucky! (lol its good quality just not much of it!)

You will get older and by the time you are 65 just think how much you will be worth and by then you WILL have a sewing room. Did not start as young as you but have aquired a lot of stuff in my short quilting life.

MNM Central Calif

arpdesigns28 08-11-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt

NO!

*27 years old
*Sew at the kitchen table.
*Even with my Brother maching I MIGHT have 1500 dollars worth of tools and supplies.
*If I have 150 dollars worth of purchased fabric I'm lucky! (lol its good quality just not much of it!)

Hey, I'm 28. And, admittedly, I went for the gusto when I fell in love with quilting. By the time I'm 62, I will have exceeded those numbers. :XD: And yes, I do have my own quilting area, with all of my wonderful containers full of quilts-in-progress (fabric). Happy quilting!

skjquiltnut 08-11-2010 06:06 PM

I have the quilting room, the other stats. d.n.a. but I sure have fun.
:lol:

skjquiltnut 08-11-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltermomo
I am 66.

My sewing space is the master bedroom.
(Although the bed only takes up 25% of the space. The rest is for my two sewing machines and tables, my ironing and cutting table, my computer and printer and a coat rack for my bags and purses. About a 1/3 of the closet is for clothes the rest is for stash, storage,office supplies,CDs,paperwork, bedding, etc. The closet is 8ft. wide, by 24in.deep, 8 ft. tall.)

My tools, including quilting books(62+), tables (3), machines(2), rack for thread (1 150 spools) , OTT lights (4),rotary cutters, scissors, storage bins, etc.
Probably about $5,000.

Fabric $2,500. Quilts made 5. Quilting for 6 months. :)

:D Good grief! girl, get that bed out of there, with all those toys, you have no time nor need for sleeping!
Sounds like a great space for alone time.

sweetie2693 08-14-2010 07:02 PM

I'm 53 and have been quilting since 1999. I don't have my own room yet.. I have less in supplies and in fabric. Maybe 3k in all.