Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Vintage" quilt tops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22vintage%22-quilt-tops-t66438.html)

debbieumphress 09-23-2010 05:05 PM

I have 13 vintage quilt tops that are 69x69 up to 90 x 74 and have pictures. Anyone know who can help me price them or how to sell them. I collected them but do not have the time to finish or room for. Hate to have them in a drawer when someone who knows older quitls can enjoy them. Hope I get some ideas, please. ALl are in good condition and a couple have some stains from age but very little. I also have 36 sunbonnet Sue blocks on muslin that are 13-1/2 x 1-1/2 not sewn together. Thank you

thelondonzoo 09-23-2010 05:08 PM

Personally, I'd list then on ebay.com or etsy.com. Or you could always list them here and ask people to simply make an offer. Good luck, I hope you find them a good home!

Twilliebee 09-23-2010 05:26 PM

Dangerous Debbie is trying to kill me. Now she's talking about my next great addiction.........vintage quilts/ tops/ blocks......HELP!!!!
Seriously, I'd have a look on e-bay and watch the prices for awhile. Flimsies tend to go for pretty reasonable prices unless there is something special about or otherwise collectible about them.
For example I paid $26 for a circa 1940 flimsy with a pieced back to go with it. I also bid on a late '30's early '40's flimsy with some classic Hallowe'en fabric in it. Because of the collectibility of the Hallowe'en fabric, that flimsy alone when in the low $50's.
Condition, whether the blocks are a 'classic' pattern (or unexpectedly funky for the time), the make-up of the fabric and whether you have any history accompanying the top will influence the price. Of course so will colour, whether it is an interpretation of something 'trendy' by todays standards....and the fickle fickle buyers. Remember when you couldn't move without falling over a goose with a ribbon on it's neck?
If you go the e-bay route, plan to take lots of very specific pictures especially of any damage, frayed areas, disintegrating fabric, stains, sunfade etc.
Hope you'll post a bunch here even if you decide to sell them elsewhere. I do spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at them and for them, so if there's anything I can do to help, consider me signed up......

MaryStoaks 09-23-2010 05:32 PM

Let's see them in the classified section, I'd love to see what you have collected. A lot of us buy vintage tops and finish them. :lol: :lol:

debbieumphress 09-23-2010 05:36 PM

Hey, my post got moved. That was an easy move. Must have belonged on Main. Thanks moderator. I am not in it to make money, I want them to go to someone who loves old timie things. One quilt is dated on it 1951. That is not old since I am a 1956 vintage myself. I won't list on ebay, that is for people who want lots of money or the most. You have all given me what I needed to know. I think I will post them on this board and go from there. At least want what I paid for them and shipping. ALl seem to be light enough to probably ship in a 10.70 priority box. With all the shipping I do I think this is best way. Then they can ask me about individual ones-right? I knew I could get some good advice on here. Thank you.

Twilliebee 09-23-2010 05:57 PM

Yahoo! I'm excited to see them.
Circa '53 here..............

debbieumphress 09-23-2010 06:11 PM

posting now.

CarrieAnne 09-23-2010 06:35 PM

Yep, Dangerous Debbie is a GOOD name for you...lol, you must have boxes of cute stuff tucked away!