Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   $12.99/yd Jo-ann fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%2412-99-yd-jo-ann-fabric-t188446.html)

Quiltaddict 05-08-2012 11:41 PM

I agree that Joann's new prices ($12.99) are ridiculous. My favorite quilt shop has much better prices and better quality fabrics. Joann's coupons are nice if you can ever find what you want that is not already on sale. Went last Wednesday when they had senior day and had a 50% off coupon. Most of the fabric was on sale, the one I wanted was just $1.00 a yard off though which was only about 10%. Ended up using the coupon for a pattern which I didn't really need. The other fabric I needed was on sale for 30% off and then got 20% off for being a senior.

margee 05-09-2012 04:25 AM

Have you been to different Walmarts lately? Some are getting their fabric depts back & not just the 1or2 little areas that they brought back recently to many of them. Prices are a little higher but the fabric I find is much nicer than what I have seen at Joanns recently. I go between my LQS & Walmarts but lqs prices are just going up too hign for me. I've seen enough bad material at joannes lately to convince me not to shop for fabric there, not just because of the higher prices. The walmart clerks are friendly &helpful as are my lqs clerks.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 05-09-2012 04:36 AM

Someone gave me 9 trash bags of fabric awhile back. She was a quilter and was cleanig out her stash. I've been making scrap quilts. If I need material for borders or binding I'll probably go to Lancaster. It takes extra gas but it's also a fun day out.

Raggiemom 05-09-2012 04:37 AM

I've seen fabric at one of our LQS for $11.49 a yard. I rarely buy at Joanns anymore because I won't pay LQS prices at Joanns. The ladies are very pleasant there and will help if asked but even with the coupons, it's a pain.

Sunnye 05-09-2012 04:41 AM

I get great service from ONE particular clerk at Joann's. She helped me figure out the yardage I needed as we went through the fabric I had chosen as she cut (it was difficult since I had a pattern for a baby quilt and different material and colors!). Well, I should say SHE figured out the yardage and it took quite a bit of time. Thank heaven they weren't busy at that time.
One thing I don't like about Joann's is that a lot of the time I can't use the coupons because the fabric is already on sale.

That said, the nearest LQS I frequent is about the same in some regards. There are some clerks that will help with anything and sometimes I go in and never get a glance by anyone. No coupons, high prices but great fabric and thread. They carry thread Joann's doesn't.

I think it just depends on my mood, their mood and the day!

Delta 05-09-2012 04:42 AM

Good morning. I am sorry that happened to you at JoAnns. I work there part time and We just love to see quilts and projects people are doing. There are some there that don't quilt and have no personallity anyways. So I know what you mean. I love to help people. sometimes we will have fabric laying all over the racks until the customer has what she want. And If I have to go cut then I go back to the customer. You just have to make friends with the right person and usually in the evening after 5 or 6pm it better. they are not so busy. Good luck to you. Dawn in Waco

janegb 05-09-2012 06:34 AM

The Joanns here in Jensen Beach/Stuart area is the same. There is a Hobby Lobby nearby that I go to, ladies are helpful and take time with you. Prices are less than Joanns, and they also have coupons for 40% off. I feel Good when I walk out of the store, not like Joanns, when I am wondering WHY I bothered to go there and feel worse when I leave than when I walked in.

SuzyQ 05-09-2012 06:47 AM

Wow, that's more than my LQS!

Suzy

SouthPStitches 05-09-2012 06:51 AM

I take my coupons in and buy batting and notions at Joann's, and feel I'm getting a deal. The thing is, the $12.99 fabric there feels awful. It's stiff, scratchy and certainly not the quality you would find at your LQS, although you are paying as much if not more for it. If I want or need to splurge on special fabric, would much rather give my hard earned $$ to the LQS. Believe everyone is feeling the pinch so we have to be mindful of where and how we spend our jingle. Often the people working at the LQS own the place, and are going out of their way to be cordial and helpful because it's their livelihood. A clerk at one of the chain stores often is stressed, underpaid and frankly, could care less.

Caroline S 05-09-2012 06:53 AM

Yes, the price for fabric is high at Joannes and the quality iffy. I found three pieces of Joannes yardage at the thrift store last week. I am going to assume that they are at least 10 years old but oh my the quality is as good as the LQS fabric. If I am making something special I bite the bullet and go to the LQS for quality cotton fabric and a much better selection.