Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   $13 a yard???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%2413-yard-t265141.html)

Jingle 05-13-2015 04:50 AM

Most of my fabrics were bought at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. I would never pay that much for fabric. I always look for the best quality they have at those two stores. I have yards and yards of fabrics and will not live long enough to use it up. So I am not buying any more fabrics. I give away most of my quilts.
Just remember most people will wash the life out of quilts in a short time. I would never buy expensive fabrics just to donate or give away.

ManiacQuilter2 05-13-2015 04:50 AM

Hey, the new sewing machine and vacuum store opened up about 6 months ago. They have limited bolts mostly Hoffman batiks and they are pried at $15.99 a yard. YIKES!!!

JenniePenny 05-13-2015 04:55 AM

Yes, that is normal for a store. I think the majority of quilters now shop in a variety of ways; getting some fabrics at quilt shops, some fabrics online, trading with other quilters, and some fabrics at thrift shops/yard sales/ re-purposed clothing. This brings the cost average down per yard. It is similar to your 401K retirement portfolio, right? Some of your investments are pricier than others. But when you look at the whole portfolio (or the whole quilt or whole stash), there is a diverse blend of sources.

Lori S 05-13-2015 05:00 AM

That's not unusual in my neck of the wood. I like to support my LQS , but I want to be able to sew/quilt with the fabrics I want at a price point I can afford. I shop the online sales to support my quilting addiction.
I remind myself that quilting in its roots was a way to recycle and make useful from waste or repurposed cloth.

Sandygirl 05-13-2015 05:25 AM

And some of that price likely includes the "designer" royalties. Think Kaffe Fassett, etc.

Sandy

Sandygirl 05-13-2015 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7194147)
Most of my fabrics were bought at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. I would never pay that much for fabric. I always look for the best quality they have at those two stores. I have yards and yards of fabrics and will not live long enough to use it up. So I am not buying any more fabrics. I give away most of my quilts.
Just remember most people will wash the life out of quilts in a short time. I would never buy expensive fabrics just to donate or give away.

We are supposed to wash our quilts? I wash mine maybe Once a year or longer intervals. But we are adults and have a no pet on the bed rule. :(

sandy

pinot 05-13-2015 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by sophiebernina (Post 7194125)
Oh, if only it were that cheap in the UK!

And in France!

Jlynne1290 05-13-2015 05:35 AM

That's pretty average where I'm at as well. I've seen cheaper fabric for maybe ten dollars a yard but the good high end fabric can run up to fifteen a yard.

sewbizgirl 05-13-2015 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7194135)
I am able to go to a fabric distributor warehouse and I see what a bolt of name brand quilt shop quality is priced for to the shop owner I don't mine seeing the same fabric at the local shop marked up twice the price, that's fair but to see it marked up almost triple the price I won't buy it even though I can. Batiks are always higher in price then regular cotton fabric and good batiks are worth a higher price.

Are you talking about Marshalls, by any chance? Remember they sell older closeout lines and are able to buy them for very little because the manufacturer is basically dumping them. The newer lines the LQS carry would cost much more, wholesale.

What galls me is to see those $12-$14 prices on the bolts at JOANNS! And their designer fabrics and batiks are that much...

pocoellie 05-13-2015 06:01 AM

Truth be told, I rarely shop at LQS, main reason is that I don't need any more fabric, second is the closest one is 100 miles from here, third reason is the price. I would buy LQS quality fabric IF I were to SELL a quilt, but since 99% of my quilts are donated, I REALLY can't justify spending tons of money for fabric and give the quilt away, BUT I do use GOOD quality fabrics. I will also buy cotton clothing at thrift stores or yard sales, if I like the fabric and take it apart. Also for backs, I use either sheets or muslin.