Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   $20 to bind a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%2420-bind-quilt-t307880.html)

PamelaOry 11-07-2019 01:06 PM

$20 to bind a quilt?

How is that price wise to machine bind a couch throw size quilt? They said it would be done by machine, both sides.

Rhonda K 11-07-2019 01:43 PM

Is the binding for the quilt already made and supplied by you. Do you know what stitches will be used for the project?

Be sure to see examples first or discuss how it will look. If all the questions are answered to your satisfaction, then proceed.

I would be happy to pay it to get a completed project marked off my list. Think of the amount of time the task would take.

Tartan 11-07-2019 01:48 PM

​I would want to see samples first. A machine sewn binding is going to be a pain if it has to come off.

KalamaQuilts 11-07-2019 02:19 PM

I'm guessing maybe to hand stitch down the back side once you put the binding on? Still selling themselves far too cheaply. And I'd want to be sure they knew how to knife edge the corners, assuming the person putting the binding on did it correctly on their side to start.

Peckish 11-07-2019 02:22 PM

I charge $.25 per linear inch for both hand and machine binding. Yes, I charge the same for machine because in my opinion, machine binding is more of a pain to do and I would rather do by hand. I prefer my customers to just give me their binding fabric and I take it from there, because most of them press it in half first and that's yet another pain. I have to press and starch their fold out before I can use it.

So, to answer your question, if the quilt was 40" by 50", I would charge $45.00. I have plenty of samples at the LQS for anyone to look at and handle, and lots of references.

I agree with Kalama - price seems awfully low.

Rff1010 11-07-2019 03:22 PM

My long arm lady charges 30 for machine binding. She has an attachment for her Bernina. I just give her the fabric for the binding and the quilt is DONE when it comes back. I think its well worth it

MarionsQuilts 11-07-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8324170)
I prefer my customers to just give me their binding fabric and I take it from there, because most of them press it in half first and that's yet another pain. I have to press and starch their fold out before I can use it.

Why is that a pain? That's how I do my binding by machine ... I'm just wondering if you have another way of binding that might be less of a pain!

THanks!

PamelaOry 11-07-2019 03:37 PM

I think this shop has an attachment for doing it. My choices were; no binding, the first side machined down, or both sides done. I really don’t like doing binding so opted for both sides. I’ll post once it comes back about how well it looks. I didn’t even think to ask to see a sample but they have samples hanging all over the shop so I could have easily looked at them.

GEMRM 11-07-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 8324200)
Why is that a pain? That's how I do my binding by machine ... I'm just wondering if you have another way of binding that might be less of a pain!

THanks!

I do mine without the pressing - I just fold it as I apply it. I find it lays flatter and feeds better to sew it. That's why I do it this way.

sewingitalltogether 11-07-2019 04:03 PM

I think the LQS here wants $40.