Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   $3 for fat quarter ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%243-fat-quarter-t154074.html)

northern lass 09-20-2011 03:19 AM

here in the UK we pay the equivalent of $3 - $4.50

Yooper32 09-20-2011 03:21 AM

Charlene, that was my thoughts exactly. I will buy a half yard and cut it into TWO fat quarters before I pay $3.00 a fat quarter. Now that might exhaust me, but it will be worth the work-out.

sandy l 09-20-2011 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Keepsake has them 100 for $100 (seasons past), Connecting Threads have them for under $1 and you can get misc ones from FabricDepot for less than $1. I can't afford the new stuff so these are some of the places I go.

That's how I get a lot of my FQ, when Keepsake has the 100 for $100.

twinkie 09-20-2011 03:23 AM

I think it would be a good idea for us to go into a shop and buy a few yards of material, take it home and cut it into fat quarters. Then take the FQs back to the shop and get a refund for the FQ price. Wonder if they would think that is fair? They said they are having to pay someone to cut the FQ, why couldn't it be me? LOL

Originally Posted by ckcowl
some shops insist that fq's should add up to more than the yardage price- because they are paying someone to cut them-(the convienience you pay for for not cutting them yourself)
i asked one time---well why doesn't it cost more if i have to cut a 1/4 yard for someone at the cutting table then?
boy the daggers that flashed! :)
and she took a breath and said- well fq's have to be folded a certain way too- it takes more time- - -
i learned to not ask many questions of the owner in this shop (i worked in for over a year:) )
i still wonder though---how you can go through and raise your prices 30% then post signs all over for a HUGE 20% OFF SALE!!!
some people are (business people) not quilters-and they are there to make money
but bottom line is- pre-cuts cost more than yardage because it costs someone to PRE-CUT and we pay for the convienience-it saves us time-not money

zennia 09-20-2011 03:30 AM

[quote=twinkie]I think it would be a good idea for us to go into a shop and buy a few yards of material, take it home and cut it into fat quarters. Then take the FQs back to the shop and get a refund for the FQ price. Wonder if they would think that is fair? They said they are having to pay someone to cut the FQ, why couldn't it be me? LOL

Originally Posted by ckcowl
some shops insist that fq's should add up to more than the yardage price- because they are paying someone to cut them-(the convienience you pay for for not cutting them yourself)
i asked one time---well why doesn't it cost more if i have to cut a 1/4 yard for someone at the cutting table then?
boy the daggers that flashed! :)
and she took a breath and said- well fq's have to be folded a certain way too- it takes more time- - -
i learned to not ask many questions of the owner in this shop (i worked in for over a year:) )
i still wonder though---how you can go through and raise your prices 30% then post signs all over for a HUGE 20% OFF SALE!!!
some people are (business people) not quilters-and they are there to make money
but bottom line is- pre-cuts cost more than yardage because it costs someone to PRE-CUT and we pay for the convienience-it saves us time-not money

[/quote

I like your idea.

:lol: :lol:

Shannon Elliott 09-20-2011 03:37 AM

Those are the fat quarters that I will not buy. I know that cotton has skyrocketed and fabric is at an all time high however, it is the LQS that keeps some things affordable that I will continue to buy from. Keeping prices down as much as possible in order to keep customers is the price of doing business and keeps them in business!

quilt3311 09-20-2011 03:55 AM

You have to sell a lot of fq to make the rent on the shop. We do have to realize that there is huge expense in just having a business. Rent, utilities, advertising, cost of fabric and notions help etc. etc. Unless you have actually run a business you do not realize how much it costs the shop to even be in business. then of course you have taxes, insurance--oh I get hives just thinking about it.
All this plus their costs have increased a lot. And if they stock thread, its not just one spool its a box of probably 8 - 12. So if a customer buys one spool and the rest sit on the shelf--cost is still there, but its a long way to profit.
Now a really good shop will run classes and specials etc to bring people in. Offer machine quilting (of course that machine cost a bundle too)
I feel for the shop owners. I realize its sticker shock when prices go up, but if we want a shop to go to, we have to realize it does cost lots to just keep the doors open.
Hope I haven't stepped on any toes here, but I have a friend who does own a shop and we have had many conversations about customers who think she is ripping them off, but all she is doing is trying to keep the shop there for us. Lets face it, I would not work for the $$$ per hour that she does.

Heather Hayllar 09-20-2011 04:07 AM

You guys make me laugh sometimes!! The average here for a FQ is $6
If only we could get them for $3!!

Maresan 09-20-2011 04:26 AM

I would never pay $3. for a FQ. There are about 2-2.25 around here.I guess its how badly you want one but I'm always looking for a bargain.

anicra 09-20-2011 04:28 AM

One of the LQS I frequent will cut you a fat quarter - but the cost is $3.30 or $3.50 for their inconvenience. Their regualr price is $2.95. The other shop will only cut fat quarters for you if their regular fabric price is under $10.00. If it's over, they won't cut it for you.