Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   $600 budget - what machine should I get? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%24600-budget-what-machine-should-i-get-t191405.html)

JenelTX 06-14-2012 04:18 AM

Thank you! I just added the Brother PQ1500S to my Amazon wish list. It does look like what I'm looking for, just a good, solid machine that I can use for piecing and FMQ. I want to go see what's available from the local dealer first, but this one is a definite possibility!

twoxover 06-14-2012 06:26 AM

i was at a joann's super center store recently, and they had a saphire 853 used, took in on trade, for 650-...might be worth considering??

bigsis63 06-15-2012 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JenelTX (Post 5288037)
Thank you! I just added the Brother PQ1500S to my Amazon wish list. It does look like what I'm looking for, just a good, solid machine that I can use for piecing and FMQ. I want to go see what's available from the local dealer first, but this one is a definite possibility!

Yes this is a good solid machine. Go to a Brothers dealer and test drive it. I really like the fact that you can addjustthe presser foot tension, drop the feed dogs to different heights, and easily adjust the upper tension, I was sewing on a Singer Quilter that you could not do any of these things easily. IMHO all you need to do quilting is a straight stitch!

JenelTX 06-15-2012 02:18 PM

I went to our local Brother Dealer, but he didn't have this machine, and in fact only had one machine under $1,000, a Janome that doesn't look much different than my current machine. He was pretty discouraging, actually, and never mentioned having any trade-ins, either. His attitude seemed to be, "If you can't afford one of these machines, you shouldn't be sewing." So no matter what, I won't be shopping with him! Didn't even look at fabric in his store, I was so thrown off by his attitude. Imagine... in a sewing store, and didn't look at fabric!

riutzelj 06-16-2012 11:28 AM

i recommend finding a used Bernina or Pfaff. Don't be afraid to get one of the older ones if you are going to be doing mostly piecing. i have a Bernina 830 ( the original 1980's one), that i sewed clothes for 7 children including three wedding ensembles, quilts and much mending on. This machine is now being used by my oldest daughter (36) for quilting. it has held up well, only getting 4 professional cleanings and tune ups in 30 years. Now i sew with a Pfaff Quilt 4, a Featherweight and a old solid metal Pfaff straight stitch.

JenelTX 06-17-2012 05:00 AM

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone! I decided to go ahead and buy the Brother PQ1500S. It should arrive on Tuesday. Today, I'm going to prepare some quilt sandwiches to practice FMQ on when the machine arrives. I'm very excited!

tngal22 06-17-2012 07:36 AM

Congrats on your new machine! Sorry the local dealer was so rude, I hate that. Be sure to show your new baby when she arrives!

AshleyR 06-17-2012 09:37 AM

I hope you enjoy it!! I ended up sending mine back!!

Originally Posted by JenelTX (Post 5295123)
Thank you for the recommendations, everyone! I decided to go ahead and buy the Brother PQ1500S. It should arrive on Tuesday. Today, I'm going to prepare some quilt sandwiches to practice FMQ on when the machine arrives. I'm very excited!

JenelTX 06-17-2012 10:59 AM

Yikes! I hope I don't have to send it back. I've been reading tons of really wonderful reviews, including here on the board, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm sorry yours didn't work for you. Do you mind sharing what the problem was?

JenelTX 06-17-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tngal22 (Post 5295591)
Congrats on your new machine! Sorry the local dealer was so rude, I hate that. Be sure to show your new baby when she arrives!

Okay, I will! I think it's going to be both fun and frustrating, as I learn how to use it.