Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   $70 bucks a month! Seriously! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%2470-bucks-month-seriously-t190584.html)

Tweety2911 06-02-2012 04:33 AM

Wow that is a lot of money to make one quilt! Pricing is outrageous! It's like a Rolls Royce, you got the money you can get it! I would rather find something else to "love" to do.

ghostrider 06-02-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5259566)
$840 for the quilt, plus $60 shipping for the year, and I assume no batting is included??!
Are you serious? OMG, some people will buy anything!

Jan in VA

It's only for 6 months and the shipping is $4 a month, so the total is $444. Still steep, but less than half what you figured.

Quilter 65 06-02-2012 05:39 AM

I bought some Nadelstern pre-cut blocks on e-bay. Just thought I had to have this pattern, which I do love. But after putting together, the blocks aren't all the same size and I really paid attention to the seam line. So unless I KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt that the cutting was accurate, I would really think twice, or maybe three times before buying. After figuring what the price per yard for the Nadelstern would have been at this rate, I am thinking of having my own head examined and I will never do it AGAIN. I just hope I can figure out how to put them together and not having it look weird or losing the vision I had for it.

MamaHen 06-02-2012 05:56 AM

Maybe price is a MISPRINT!!!! OUTRAGEOUS-not in my lifetime

Rose Marie 06-02-2012 06:28 AM

I think Keepsake Quilting is too expensive on everything.
To many more reasonable places to shop. Even local quilt shops are cheaper if you add in shipping costs.

AUQuilter 06-02-2012 07:21 AM

Wow, I am speechless! and that doesn't happen often...

T-Anne 06-02-2012 07:34 AM

Ouch! Too much for me too!

ghostrider 06-02-2012 09:32 AM

You're all being pretty hard on Keepsake Quilting for their price on this kit ($420), but they certainly aren't charging the highest price for it. They are the only one offering pre-cut, pre-fused pieces for the whole thing, however, and thats a lot of labor for 17 blocks plus the border details. It's out there other places at $504 for just the fabrics and patterns, but it can also be found for $250, so a very large range. I think KQ is being quite reasonable considering what you get for the money.

Jan in VA 06-02-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5260526)
You're all being pretty hard on Keepsake Quilting for their price on this kit ($420), but they certainly aren't charging the highest price for it. .........

Actually I enjoy Keepsake and wasn't bashing THEIR shop when I, for one, thought this was too high. Finding out that the BOM is only 6 months instead of the assumed 12 ....making the price half my original assumption...and yet still hearing one purchases backing and batting -- and then the quilting -- makes it still WAY high, in MY opinion. (which, with a couple dollars, will get you a cuppa coffee, right?).

Ryan's applique work has been around since I had my shop well over a decade ago, and was wildly popular then as well. She's definitely got a good thing going and her work is very appealing. I guess the price is one way to make sure not everybody on earth makes one or more of her quilts! (like we all have a stack and whack or one block wonder, for instance.:rolleyes:) I support her fame!

Jan in VA

BellaBoo 06-02-2012 10:40 AM

There are many quilters that can afford the prices. Remember that spending a $100 to some people is the same as spending $10 to others. Everyone has different spending limitations and sticker shock is different for everyone.