Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   {ISO}Quilt Shops from Chicago to St. Louis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%7Biso%7Dquilt-shops-chicago-st-louis-t133611.html)

retrogirl02 06-27-2011 03:06 PM

I'm hoping to travel to St. Louis in the next couple of months and was interested in any quilt shops along the way. Are there any locally owned shops in the area?

Someone just wrote there's one in Clayton. If anyone knows of any small shops (not JoAnns or similar), please let me know here or by PM.

Thank you.

:D

suezq 06-27-2011 03:11 PM

Unfortunately I live in South Florida so I cannot help you, but if you go ontpo the chat room there is always some one that can give you the names and towns where they can be found, as the chat room ladies are from all across the country. GOOD LUCK. Another alternative would be to GOOGLE Quilt Shops, type in a town or two and see what they come up with. The site usually comes up with quite a few.

retrogirl02 06-27-2011 03:12 PM

I'm not finding any by online search...which seems strange. There MUST be shops in the area, right?

Tink's Mom 06-27-2011 03:55 PM

There is a really good one in Sycamore, IL...Tammy Tadd designs...

retrogirl02 06-27-2011 04:28 PM

Thanks, Tink's Mom. I just looked them up online...says they went out of business.

Tink's Mom 06-27-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
Thanks, Tink's Mom. I just looked them up online...says they went out of business.

I didn't believe you...just checked with the store. I was there a couple of weeks ago. That is going to be a big loss. She had terrific stuff. Her close out sale will be starting on Monday.

DogHouseMom 06-27-2011 05:25 PM

A few I can think of depending on how far off I55 your willing to stray.

In Joliet take Rt30 East about 3 miles or so then turn North (left) on Larkin/Weber, and about 1/8 mile ahead on the left is a HUGE shop called Roberts Sewing Center. Looks small from the outside, there is parking in the rear. Thousands of bolts - tons of batiks, lots of flanels a whole library of books. The only thing wrong with the place is the staff - not the friendliest of folks. It's my "go to" shop when I can't find something I need anywhere else. Be sure to check out the sale rack on the 2nd floor.

Further south and right on I55 is Countryside Village. Exit at Rt 113 in Coal City, make a left at the top of the ramp then a left turn at the first street you come to. You would have seen the building on the left before you exited I55. It's a small shop but the folks inside are great. They also have a wine shop in the back and a craft/home decor shop and some consignment antiques, and a kitchen shop. Be sure to check out the whole store.

Sue

retrogirl02 06-27-2011 05:30 PM

Sue....a wine shop/quilt shop? Sounds like a party! We generally take 70 in but I may be able to weasle a change of scenery this go round.
Thank you!

judy363905 06-27-2011 05:31 PM

If you are anywhere near Arthur, IL.... that would be my suggestion. Wonderful shops right downtown - do not remember the names as I now live in Arizona - but I stop in Arthur every time we visit family in IL and IN

Enjoy your trip

retrogirl02 06-27-2011 05:34 PM

My poor DH. This trip may end up costing quite a bit more than planned, thanks to wonderful board members!!

Thank you, Judy...I'm looking online as we chat.