Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   0 for 2 - Boo Hoo! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/0-2-boo-hoo-t198555.html)

SallySaidSew 08-24-2012 04:23 PM

0 for 2 - Boo Hoo!

About a month ago I was visiting in Spokane, WA and had a little bit of time to find a LQS. I pulled up my Quilt Store app and located several in the area. I picked the nearest one and off we went in search of it. All we found was an empty store with a sign on the door thanking everyone for their business. Bummer, I thought! But no time to go find another one so no LQS visits that weekend.

This evening we are in Princeton, BC heading towards Abbotsford tomorrow. After we checked into our hotel, I did a quick search to see if there was a LQS here. Yep, about 8 blocks away according to the map on the internet. We decided to go for a walk and find it. What did we find? Shuttered windows and a "for rent" sign on the door. Dang! 0 for 2!!

I'm afraid to go looking for a LQS in Abbotsford for fear I will strike out once again. Kinda depressing to know these places have gone out of business.

Tartan 08-24-2012 04:41 PM

The next time you locate a LQS in the area you are visiting, look up the phone number and see if anyone one answers when you call. Sad but certainly not unusual for shops to be closing left and right.

Foxglove 08-24-2012 04:54 PM

I'm sorry to say the quilt shop in Abbotsford on Montrose street closed about 3 or 4 weeks ago. There is A Great Notion or the Fabricland in Abbotsford still. Definitely try Hamel's Fabrics in Chilliwack, it's the best quilt shop in this area as far as I'm concerned and also the largest at 3000 square feet. There is Wineberry Fabrics in Surrey though it's much smaller or Quilted Treasures in Coquitlam, as far as I know those two stores are still in business though I haven't gone to them in a long time. Good luck and happy fabric shopping.

SallySaidSew 08-24-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Foxglove (Post 5465371)
I'm sorry to say the quilt shop in Abbotsford on Montrose street closed about 3 or 4 weeks ago. There is A Great Notion or the Fabricland in Abbotsford still. Definitely try Hamel's Fabrics in Chilliwack, it's the best quilt shop in this area as far as I'm concerned and also the largest at 3000 square feet. There is Wineberry Fabrics in Surrey though it's much smaller or Quilted Treasures in Coquitlam, as far as I know those two stores are still in business though I haven't gone to them in a long time. Good luck and happy fabric shopping.

Thanks for the tips! I will try to visit Hamel's tomorrow.

joyce blint 08-24-2012 05:24 PM

That's too bad those lists aren't up dated more.

Silver Needle 08-24-2012 05:42 PM

One reason I try to use LQS as much as possible as budget and projects will allow.

thimblebug6000 08-25-2012 07:38 AM

It's a Great Notion Quilt Works on George Ferguson Way in Abbotsford is a really well stocked store and easy to get to, I enjoy shopping there. They also have another store in Langley if you're looking for variety. There is another shop in Chilliwack right off the freeway called Countryfolk on Luckakuck Way, not as much variety but very nice people & some fun projects.

thimblebug6000 08-25-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint (Post 5465426)
That's too bad those lists aren't up dated more.

The shop in Princeton was small and not open very long.
The shop in Abbotsford just recently closed.
The shop in Fort Langley is closing at the end of September and has some great bargains if you want to stop in there.

SallySaidSew 08-25-2012 02:06 PM

We did stop at Hamel's today on our way to Abbotsford. What a lovely shop and the people working there were very helpful and friendly. I wish I would have had more time to browse and enjoy the store.