Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4" is not the same on all machines. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4%22-not-same-all-machines-t46693.html)

JoanneS 05-24-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by puck116

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I'll have to make both over. I'm saving these two to show and be examined at guild. It's for a miniature quilt so it's not much fabric involved. The 301 made the perfect scant 1/4" seam. From now on my expensive Brother will be used for machine quilting not piecing.

A hint a friend just told me this week is, if you can move your needle move it once to the right. Sew a seam and measure to see if it comes out that scant 1/4". I tried it and it worked for me.

On my Pfaff, I have to move it MORE than once to the right, so all machines are NOT the same. You just have to figure out what works on your machine. I also sew some seams using the LEFT edge of the foot, and I move the needle differently than on the right. NOW I'm going to check to be sure those seams are the same. LOL! Thank goodness for this thread!

stitchinfrenzy 05-24-2010 06:55 AM

I learned years ago when sewing blocks together made by different quilters for a charity donation that all 1/4" are different. No 2 blocks measured the same. Some I had to remove fabric when squaring up some I took apart and restitched and others had to have a narrow border. It was very frustrating. I've also learned to never use the lines on a cutting mat for accurate measuring and cutting. I've measured several of mine and had as much as 3/4" difference by the time I got to the end of the mat. Now I only use the lines to line up straight of grain.

Gwyn 05-24-2010 09:41 AM

I have learned not all rulers are the same either. When I taught first grade we learned to measure with rulers sent by the curriculum publishers. Identical to the color but, the first and last inch were the least accurate. Usually they are a little bit longer than the other inches. Example 1-2 might be 1 1/8, but between 2-3 would be exactly correct. When I measure I begin with 3 inches and cut on 10, this exactly 7" piece. Does this make sense? I wish I could find a wide metal tape measure the retracts. The ones carpenters use is bowed.

Alondra 05-24-2010 10:12 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. We probably all expect a "scant 1/4" to be the same on every machine, but this is dramatic proof that it isn't. Back to the old tape on the plate method. I appreciate things like this so much from all of you - I've learned so much in the short time I've been here.

bearisgray 05-24-2010 10:30 AM

It's a good reminder to the rest of us, too.

BrendaB 05-24-2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I never really believed that until tonight. I started this strip at a sew day using my take to class machine. I made another strip tonight using different machine. I switch machines a lot finishing up projects. I think I found out why I keep pulling my hair out trying to figure out what went wrong with my blocks! Look at the difference in the strips. All the fabric pieces are cut exactly the same size, sewn together exactly the same way using a 1/4" quilting foot made for each machine. I learned a major lesson. One machine makes a perfect scant 1/4" seam the other measures 1/4" seam but appears to be a thread width bigger. A scant 1/4" does make a big difference!

Tease: One machine used is a vintage Singer 301.

Wow! That is a big difference. I would make another row on each machine and have 2 of what you were making. I really hate taking things apart. Your project is really nice. I'm sorry this happened to you. I am very greatful for the shared information. Thank you very much.

zz-pd 05-24-2010 03:21 PM

Thank you so much for all the information, this will help me a lot. God bless. Penny

Suse 05-24-2010 03:59 PM

Wow, that is a great visual. Thanks! 8-)

CRicart 05-25-2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Sooooooo, what you are telling me is:
In these two sets of blocks you have 8 seams each.
The longer set 'seam' is the width of a thread larger than the smaller set.
So laying 8 pieces of thread side by side is how much bigger the larger set is than the smaller set?
This was an excellent visual. It will be burned in my mind forever because you showed it to me this way.
Thank-you. All of the examples and information in this post and the responses is very helpful to me.

I agree! I have read this before, but this will stick as it a is visua. Now I also understand why my results are not uniform from machine to machine!

IBQUILTIN 05-25-2010 08:50 PM

If you check your 1/4 inch seam with three strips of 2 1/2 in fabric, you will know what line to use as a 1/4 inch guide on both machines. My favorite rule though is to always use the same machine for piecing. Thanx for the lesson