Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4" seam allowance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4%22-seam-allowance-t91236.html)

GrammaO 01-16-2011 08:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I hope the pictures help show my problem. All of myy blocks are supposed to finish at 8 1/2" square. They are for the most part. But when I sew the setting square to the block the points are off. I'm assuming that the pink, green and purple are supposed to come to a point without a margin once the two blocks are joined. My seam is a 1/4" so do I cut the blocks down so that there is only 1/4" past the points and cut all my other blocks to whatever size that ends up? Can you tell I'm still pretty much a newbie? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Two blocks joined with 1/4" seam allowance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162075[/ATTACH]

Close up of block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162076[/ATTACH]

Block before joining. Measures 8 1/2" sq. From pink point to edge of square is closer to 3/8" than 1/4".
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162093[/ATTACH]

Charlee 01-16-2011 08:36 PM

Looks to me like the seam must not be a true 1/4 inch...

I'm sure someone else will know better than I do tho...

Very pretty!!

timepasser 01-16-2011 08:39 PM

I don't know either but it sure will be pretty when it is done. Looks like Easter

Qbee 01-16-2011 08:39 PM

Can you measure for us..like what is the measurement from where the pink/purple/green come to a point and the edge of that block (pic 2)?

happyscrappy 01-16-2011 08:43 PM

i suggest you learn what you didn't do properly, but don't fret over this one. as long as all the blocks are consistent, it will look good.

Quiltforme 01-16-2011 08:51 PM

Does it do this on both sides have that much show?

It might be that the 1/4" on your machine may not be a true 1/4" I have to measure mine each time and put post it notes just to keep it consistant.

GrammaO 01-16-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
Can you measure for us..like what is the measurement from where the pink/purple/green come to a point and the edge of that block (pic 2)?

Most seem to be closer to 3/8" that 1/4". That's the question, I guess. If the point should be right at the edge of the block, then do I trim them all to 1/4" all the way around then trim my princess blocks to the same size? This is the first one, so it's not too late for me to trim them all down if that is the right thing to do

Jan in VA 01-16-2011 08:58 PM

Leave it!! The slight bit that is not "lost" in your seam allowance will actually visually make your points sharper in the finished quilt. I always plan my similar blocks this way, on purpose. I call it "float".

Jan in VA

Qbee 01-16-2011 09:02 PM

GrammmaO....yes and no...I have seen them cut where the point does not hit but I prefer mine to hit so I know what you mean. Now....if all you have are these two types of blocks; then you could cut them all down but if you have other blocks, it might be an issue. Before doing anything, sew a seam and measure it to make VERY sure that your seam is 1/4 inch. I have had mine mess up simply because i might have changed the setting to do something else and forgot to change it back, etc.

JulieR 01-16-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Leave it!! The slight bit that is not "lost" in your seam allowance will actually visually make your points sharper in the finished quilt. I always plan my similar blocks this way, on purpose. I call it "float".

Jan in VA

This is a GREAT point - once you quilt and wash it I bet you lose that extra bit, unless you're really looking for it!