Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4" or scant 1/4" - what do you prefer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4-scant-1-4-what-do-you-prefer-t167406.html)

SueSew 11-10-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 4660490)
It isn't the measurement of the seam that is the important thing, it is the measurement of the pieces you are sewing together. You want to press your seam then measure the sewn piece minus 1/2 inch (which is 1/4 inch from each piece) That should be the measurement that you are concerned with. Depending on your fabric, thread (and location of the moon and stars!!) your sewn seam can vary.

IMHO this is by far best method no-fail - thread, fabric can vary and the little flange on your 1/4" foot doesn't know the difference. I was taught to do three strips same width in different colors, sew and measure, then adjust, and it works great. I do it whenever I start a new project, change thread or fabric weight.

nhweaver 11-10-2011 01:48 PM

I trued up my 1/4" foot, the 1/4" mark on the throat plate, I use a scant 1/4", when I size my blocks, I rather have a bit to cut off than after to "stretch to fit" to line the blocks up.

joyce888 11-10-2011 02:19 PM

I use a scant and depending on the complication of the block 1 click to the right or 2 clicks.

Camping Angel 11-10-2011 02:21 PM

I once sewed a heart "log cabin" quilt using a true 1/4". By the time I was sewing on the last couple of pieces in the block, they were always coming out too long. If I had used a quilters 1/4" foot, I would not have had that problem. It gives you a scant 1/4" because by the time you press your seam you are using up the last part of the true 1/4" allowance.

fabric_fancy 11-10-2011 02:32 PM

i prefer to cut my fabric with 2 extra threads so if i'm cutting 5 inch squares i really cut 5 inches and 2 threads.

then i sew a true 1/4 inch seam.

this accounts for anything lost in pressing the seams to one side and the thickness of the thread being used to sew.

IAmCatOwned 11-10-2011 03:25 PM

I measure it. Once you have it figured for your machine, you do the same always. I go for the 1/4 inch rather than the scant. So long as my final blocks are within 1/4 inch of the required size when done, I don't worry about it too much. A perfectionist (and you know if you are) would probably not tolerate that and use the scant.

KerryK 11-10-2011 03:30 PM

I just try to be consistent. Everything I make is either for myself or for a gift to someone special, and they love it no matter what.

Doreen 11-10-2011 03:42 PM

I usually use a scant 1/4. Epecially if you are piecing blocks.

ghostrider 11-10-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy (Post 4662689)
i prefer to cut my fabric with 2 extra threads so if i'm cutting 5 inch squares i really cut 5 inches and 2 threads.

then i sew a true 1/4 inch seam.

this accounts for anything lost in pressing the seams to one side and the thickness of the thread being used to sew.

I do pretty much the same thing by always using the far side of the line on my ruler to cut. I don't often make traditional blocks anymore, so it doesn't really matter for size, but it does makes everything flat, square and polished when done.