Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4" seam verses scant 1/4" seam. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4-seam-verses-scant-1-4-seam-t286346.html)

salederer 02-24-2017 08:13 AM

1/4" seam verses scant 1/4" seam.

The quilt club I belong to makes a quilt to raffle every year (Helps to pay for supplies for donation quilts.) The woman that are in charge insist we use a scant 1/4" seam. To me it seems very small. What are your thoughts on scant 1/4" seams?

Rose Marie 02-24-2017 08:59 AM

I think it is ridiculous to nitpick about one thread width. I only do 1/4 in. If they are so picky I would not belong to such a club.

Helen6869 02-24-2017 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by salederer (Post 7771378)
The quilt club I belong to makes a quilt to raffle every year (Helps to pay for supplies for donation quilts.) The woman that are in charge insist we use a scant 1/4" seam. To me it seems very small. What are your thoughts on scant 1/4" seams?

I often wondered "what is a scant 1/4" anyway? I don't know what that means. I have my machine set for what I think is a good 1/4" so that's what I will be using. But I do understand about trying to match seams with someone else's sewing. That can be hard to do. But a thread or two should be "fudgeable." haha...made that up!

PaperPrincess 02-24-2017 09:37 AM

We talk about seam width, but you don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
If you are making a top with squares all the same size, it doesn't matter. If you are making a pattern with multiple patches in your block, then it matters. If you are contributing a block to a group quilt, they are looking for accuracy so all the blocks fit together. Find out what size block they are looking for (unfinished) and make sure that yours measures this.

MadQuilter 02-24-2017 09:42 AM

Good advice, Princess.

Jane Quilter 02-24-2017 10:00 AM

A scant, which I interpret to be sewing next to the drawn line of a corner square , say like on a snowball block. This takes into account the amount of fabric lost in the pressing fold as you press to the dark side or open. A scant is also interpreted as 1 thread away from the seam line for the same reason, but is harder to find without a drawn line as in a diagonal seam. When you sewing with a group, consistency is not good enough even though it works for you when you are making the whole project. The adding up of the one thread loss in every seam across a block will make your block too small to share.

Tartan 02-24-2017 10:10 AM

My 1/4 foot for my Bernina is what I use. Use whatever allowance you want as long as you arrive at the total blocks size. Blocks sewn by different people can be a pain to sew together if they are not the right size.

cashs_mom 02-24-2017 10:14 AM

I agree. Find out what size your blocks should finish to and make sure they do. That's what really matters when it comes to putting it together. I would check with whoever is organizing it. If she can't tell you what size to finish to, I would decline to participate. Otherwise, it will end up being hassle with someone blaming everyone else because things don't fit together properly.

Doggramma 02-24-2017 10:18 AM

I also think the scant 1/4 inch looks skinny, even though the 1/4 inch vs. the scan 1/4 inch is such a tiny difference. I get so paranoid about a seam ripping out on a quilt, so I tend to go with the whatever seam comes from using the 1/4 inch foot. My blocks are often a bit shy of the intended measurement. It works for my quilts, but probably not for a block exchange.

kerriy 02-24-2017 04:58 PM

When I first started quilting I learned a test for accurate piecing that has helped me. All fabrics have a bit different thickness, so the scant 1/4 " or 1/4 inch could work depending on the fabric. It sort of drives me crazy, but I can come up short on a basic 8 inch block with not that many piecing because my seams were a bit fat.

The test is: cut three strips 1.5 inches by 3.5 inches, then sew the two seams to put them together. After you press the seams, you should have a piece 3.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches. Then you know your seam width is accurate for the fabrics you are sewing to together.

Hope that might helps, if they are picky at the block exchange.:)