Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-inch-squares-has-anyone-made-quilt-like-t295831.html)

oksewglad 03-31-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 8032191)
Success! I cut out all my squares - wow! Lots of little pieces everywhere. My parrot is having a field day!

Here's what I have so far: they are 10x10 (when I start LOL)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591990[/ATTACH]

So delighted to see these and that there are other crazies out there..FYI, my guild friends tell me I need therapy as they hand me baggies of small pieces..

NZquilter 04-01-2018 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 8031809)
I have made one using the fusible grid and it was a little bulky but not bad.

*Sorry, don't know why it's sideways

I love this one!

NZquilter 04-01-2018 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 8032191)
Success! I cut out all my squares - wow! Lots of little pieces everywhere. My parrot is having a field day!

Here's what I have so far: they are 10x10 (when I start LOL)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591990[/ATTACH]

Wow, you are braver than me! Looks great!

kristakz 04-01-2018 05:59 AM

I see no reason you can't do that. I have a quilting friend who does it all the time - but she limits herself to 9-patches made from the 1" squares, and then sets them with 1.5" (finished) alternate blocks of a solid fabric.

When you sew the seams, you need to be very careful of your seam allowance. And in order for the second pass (sewing the other direction, across the first lines of stitching) to lie nicely, you should clip the seam allowance of the fusible at each intersection, so you can press each row in opposite directions and nest the seams.

Edit to add:

I guess I didn't read far enough before posting. Those blocks look great!

ppquilter 04-01-2018 06:34 AM

Wow, love them all! I just finished sewing 350 9 patch blocks to finish at 1.5 inches, still working on more, all in CW fabric.

Bobbinalong 04-01-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ppquilter (Post 8032117)
I use the cut-n-press board, lay out a lightweight iron on interfacing, glue side up. Just using the grid on the cut-n-press, I arrange my 1 inch squares, 1 x 2 or 2 x 2 on the interfacing, them press per directions on the interfacing. The little quilt pic shows one just ironed on and the other one is already sewn.

A brilliant idea. Thanks

MarionsQuilts 04-03-2018 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm done my trial of 1 inch squares. It was easier than I thought. Will definitely keep in mind for a quilt with a "real " pattern, instead of just a scrappy ... I don't like trying to think of how to arrange random colours!

This will be another cat bed! Thanks for all the tips and help!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]592114[/ATTACH]

katiebear1 04-04-2018 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 8030756)
All I can say is good luck! Pieces that small go into the bin for dog beds. I don't like to keep anything smaller than 2 1/2". That's just me. (Famous last words LOL)

I agree. 2 1/2 is as small as I will go.

oksewglad 04-06-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 8033656)
I'm done my trial of 1 inch squares. It was easier than I thought. Will definitely keep in mind for a quilt with a "real " pattern, instead of just a scrappy ... I don't like trying to think of how to arrange random colours!

This will be another cat bed! Thanks for all the tips and help!

Very nice...so many possibilities!