Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1 INCH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-inch-t21069.html)

JUNEBUG 06-08-2009 09:18 AM

Can someone please give me some advice!!! I am in the process of hand quilting a fan quilt, between the fans and the outside border is a 1" border and I have no idea on what to put there. I am not very artistic in creating something from scratch and have been searching for a 1 or 3/4" stencil and have not been able to find one. The fan blades are quilted on one side of each blade, the bottom background is 1/4" in from the seam and the large background has sort of a feather design. I have been reading all the help you ladies have been given and hopefully someone can come up with something. :)

Ninnie 06-08-2009 09:21 AM

You might want to use some 1/4in tape and place it on each side and then just straight quilt! It will make the little boarder stand out.

JUNEBUG 06-08-2009 09:46 AM

Thank you - Ninnie :) :)

MadQuilter 06-08-2009 10:54 AM

Since everything else is 1/4" from the seam, why not keep it consistent and just do 1/4" from each edge?

JUNEBUG 06-08-2009 11:20 AM

Hi MadQuilter - Thank you for the information after reading all the helpful quilting suggestions on other topics I knew this is the place I could count on for help. Have a nice day.

Just a little note for anyone who hand quilts - I use a finger cot on my pointer finger it is easier to pull the needle thru with. Walmart has them with differant sizes but if you want a specific size a pharmacy should have them also.

Knot Sew 06-08-2009 12:29 PM

I like buttons, I would use the tiny size buttons in A matching color. :D

MadQuilter 06-08-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp

Thanks for the memory, Ruth - I decided once that buttons would be the perfect embellishment for an applique quilt. It looked purdy BUT 168 buttons later, I REALLY wanted to kick myself. lol

sewjoyce 06-08-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp

Thanks for the memory, Ruth - I decided once that buttons would be the perfect embellishment for an applique quilt. It looked purdy BUT 168 buttons later, I REALLY wanted to kick myself. lol

168 buttons -- even if you were sewing them on by machine that would be a bit much!!

sewjoyce 06-08-2009 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Since everything else is 1/4" from the seam, why not keep it consistent and just do 1/4" from each edge?

I think that's a fabulous idea!!

JUNEBUG 06-09-2009 03:43 AM

Hi Ruth - The fabric is a Thimbleberries gold - would you take tiny flat buttons as close to that color and maybe off set each one a little (like zig zag)--or just a straight row down the middle? :?: :?: