Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   108 inch backing fabric question - UPDATED (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/108-inch-backing-fabric-question-updated-t114491.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-08-2011 08:02 AM

I ordered 108 inch backing fabric from Handcocks of Paducah. After piddling around trying to make things fit, I measured it. It measures 104 inches from selvedge to selvedge. Exactly, 104 inches from the very edge to the extreme other edge. Am I measuring right? I assumed 108 from selvedge to selvedge. Yes?

I don't want to call them if I'm not thinking about this correctly.

wanderingcreek 04-08-2011 08:04 AM

I would also assume that if it says 108" that it would be 108" from selvedge to selvedge. I have bought 108" wide backing fabrics before and it was always 108". I would definitely call and ask about this.

donnajean 04-08-2011 08:06 AM

I would remeasure & then call & ask the seller the same question. I know they are shrinking the size of everything, but they sould not advertise 108" if it does not measure 108".

Johanna Fritz 04-08-2011 08:34 AM

Is this the size pre or post wash? If it is post wash, they will most likely say that is just usual shrinkage. 4 inches is about 2-3% shrinkage.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-08-2011 08:35 AM

UPDATE

I called Hancocks. There is none of that fabric in the store so they can't measure it. Their offer is for me to send it back and they will exchange it for a similar fabric they have in stock. I would have to pay the shipping to send it back. They would pay the shipping to send out the new piece.

Right now, I'm just ticked. If I would've ordered half yard more of fabric, I could've just turned the backing the other way and it wouldn't have mattered! Of course, I was trying to "save" by ordering just enough and since it isn't 108 inches it isn't enough either way! GRRRR!!!!

Prism99 04-08-2011 08:40 AM

I would keep it and add a border or side panels from a different fabric. What a shame!

Lori S 04-08-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
UPDATE

I called Hancocks. There is none of that fabric in the store so they can't measure it. Their offer is for me to send it back and they will exchange it for a similar fabric they have in stock. I would have to pay the shipping to send it back. They would pay the shipping to send out the new piece.

Right now, I'm just ticked. If I would've ordered half yard more of fabric, I could've just turned the backing the other way and it wouldn't have mattered! Of course, I was trying to "save" by ordering just enough and since it isn't 108 inches it isn't enough either way! GRRRR!!!!

Well thats a bit unfair.. they listed it at 108 inches!! you should not be incuring additional costs to send it back.. say nothing about the inconvienince.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-08-2011 08:45 AM

I really don't blame them. For all they know, I can't measure correctly. They said no one else had called to complain. That's probably because everyone else has the good sense not to try to cut it so close on the backing! I needed everyone of those 108 inches. I should have known better.

dunster 04-08-2011 08:46 AM

If you didn't pre-wash the fabric, then I agree that you should not have to pay shipping to return it. I would call them back and insist that they made the mistake, not you. Good luck.

lllog 04-08-2011 08:46 AM

It should be 108" if its sold as such. Often its a little more than indicated.

Lanny