Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   12 yards of hand-dyed....what should I make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/12-yards-hand-dyed-what-should-i-make-t250529.html)

teacherbailey 07-21-2014 01:18 PM

12 yards of hand-dyed....what should I make?

Using a recipe in the current Quilting Arts and some dyes that are on their way from Dharma Trading Company....so hopefully by this time next week, I'll have one yard each of twelve colors, brights from red, blue and yellow to blue-violet, red-orange, yellow-green and so on. I love the process of dyeing and am excited to have finally found the right recipe and dyes!!!!! So here is the $64,000 question: What am I going to do with the yardage once it's made? I know I want some pattern that will show off the gradations of color. I am thinking of Trip Around the World but I'm sure there are more interesting and creative patterns out there....what do you think???? What would YOU make with this? I'm also going to dye two tshirts, some embroidery floss that will match the 12 fabrics and some fat quarters that will be multicolored.....ohhh, I can't wait!!! Looking forward to your ideas!!!!!!

PenniF 07-21-2014 02:06 PM

What about a Bargello???

CarolinePaj 07-21-2014 03:44 PM

Teacherbailey,

can an you tell me what dyes you use and what quantities...... Part of the C&G course that I recently completed covered dyeing and I have been hooked ever since and I love learning about new dyes and recipes !!

hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by teacherbailey (Post 6811534)
Using a recipe in the current Quilting Arts and some dyes that are on their way from Dharma Trading Company....so hopefully by this time next week, I'll have one yard each of twelve colors, brights from red, blue and yellow to blue-violet, red-orange, yellow-green and so on. I love the process of dyeing and am excited to have finally found the right recipe and dyes!!!!! So here is the $64,000 question: What am I going to do with the yardage once it's made? I know I want some pattern that will show off the gradations of color. I am thinking of Trip Around the World but I'm sure there are more interesting and creative patterns out there....what do you think???? What would YOU make with this? I'm also going to dye two tshirts, some embroidery floss that will match the 12 fabrics and some fat quarters that will be multicolored.....ohhh, I can't wait!!! Looking forward to your ideas!!!!!!

Emma S 07-21-2014 03:54 PM

Seems to be the modern color blocking might lend itself to all those yummy colors. I tried on Google, handdyedcoloredblockedquilts. Some of these are truly beautiful and lend themselves really well to the unique look of hand dyed.

feline fanatic 07-22-2014 07:21 AM

Tumbling blocks is a great one to do in rainbow brights and you will need a light medium and dark of every color to give the 3D illusion

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-22-2014 09:02 AM

Please post pictures of your progress on the quilt! I can't wait to see it!

teacherbailey 07-23-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj (Post 6811680)
Teacherbailey,

can an you tell me what dyes you use and what quantities...... Part of the C&G course that I recently completed covered dyeing and I have been hooked ever since and I love learning about new dyes and recipes !!

Go explore on www.dharmatrading.com The dyes I'm using are their name brand (though they have other brands!) for cotton and other plant fibers. With what you are doing, you will enjoy playing on this website to see all of the exciting and interesting things they have!!!!! The article that you want to read is in the current Quilting Arts magazine and it's an article on dyeing thread skeins for embroidery, though I am going to use the same recipe (multiplied a few times to make enough dye) for all of my fabrics and shirts..... their website is www.quiltingarts.com and they are part of the Interweave family of magazines...you can google that.

hugs

Caroline

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj (Post 6811680)
Teacherbailey,

hugs

Caroline

My dyes are Dharma brand dyes for cotton from www.dharmatrading.com With what you are working on, you will love this site! They have all kinds of fibers, dyeable clothing, dyes, fabrics, kits to try new things, etc. You need the current issue of Quilting Arts (www.quiltingarts.com) for their article on dyeing embroidery thread skeins. I will be multiplying out their dye recipes for the 12 colors so I have enough for my yardage and shirts and all..... You can buy this issue online!

teacherbailey 07-23-2014 11:48 AM

Thanks for all of the ideas! Bargello is a great idea and I have a couple of books on it. I think all use more than 12 fabrics but I'm going to look. Tumbling Blocks would be gorgeous too, and I'm going to Google "hand dyed color blocked quilts" and see what I get. I'm still looking for just the right idea, but the dyes came in the mail today so I get to dye tomorrow!!!!

Emma S 07-23-2014 03:38 PM

Bailey: Even the way you spelled it, that last sentence was kind of startling. Would love to see pictures of your process. I played around with the sun reactive dyes from Dharma and came out with some really pretty results. Would like to try some "real" dyeing because sometimes you just can't get that perfect color. One of the pointers I received from another dyer was to keep a note book of EXACTLY the formula you used. Although even she admitted to the "Gee wonder what would happen if I poured this in that syndrome". Have fun!

wesing 07-23-2014 06:26 PM

My Jimmy's Ladder quilt took 12 colors, plus black: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t133646.html

I would look at some of Ricky Tim's quilts. I know he uses a lot of hand dyed fabrics.

Keep us posted.

Darren