Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1865 Singer in sad shape (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1865-singer-sad-shape-t98443.html)

so-sew 02-10-2011 06:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
You vintage singer loving people have created a monster! Every day I check craigslist for new treasures! Today I found a 1865 Singer that appears to be in pretty rough shape. The simple fact that it is soooooo old and still around makes it desireable to me. It looks like a spool "peg" is missing from the top of the machine, but other than that I think the exterior is intact. Rusty, chipped, and sad looking, but still proudly surviving generations of sewers. I can get the machine for $25.
What do you all suggest for this antique addict? Is this as rare as I believe it to be, or are they pretty common? Does it look to be in a condition that is unsalvageagle? Of course there are no accessories. What you see is what you get.

quiltinghere 02-10-2011 06:30 AM

Do you know how to clean it up? Have you seen the tutorials on this site? Would you be willing to sacrifice $25.00 to try it?

ssgramma 02-10-2011 06:31 AM

I would - just to have it. And then do the cleanup and find a shelf for it to live on :-)

Charlee 02-10-2011 06:32 AM

She'd have already been home with me. ;)

raptureready 02-10-2011 06:32 AM

I usually offer less than what they're asking. Meet with the seller and offer $15. You may get it for that or maybe have to go to $20 or $25 but you haven't lost anything. Even if it can't be fixed it could be cleaned up and be a beautiful conversation piece. You also might try contacting Lostn51. Billy is the resident vintage machine expert.

so-sew 02-10-2011 06:33 AM

I've never done a full overhaul/clean up on a machine before, but I'm willing to try. Yes, I did see the tutorial and it's inspiring. Billy is a sewing machine make-over magician!

quiltingaz 02-10-2011 06:38 AM

I would get it just for antique value, as a display piece. It would be a bonus if you could get it to work.

Enchanted Quilter 02-10-2011 06:47 AM

It would be in my covey of machines.

hobo2000 02-10-2011 07:19 AM

I would have it home and cleaned by now for that price. LOL

so-sew 02-10-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I usually offer less than what they're asking. Meet with the seller and offer $15. You may get it for that or maybe have to go to $20 or $25 but you haven't lost anything. Even if it can't be fixed it could be cleaned up and be a beautiful conversation piece. You also might try contacting Lostn51. Billy is the resident vintage machine expert.

I offered him $15 and he said the lowest he could go would be $20. I'm planning to go look at it (and more than likely buy it) either tonight or tomorrow. I probably won't ever transform her into a working machine again, but I'll do my best trying and, at least, make her as pretty as possible. I wonder how much the old lady weighs! I"ll post photos soon.