Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1st time machine quilter questions. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1st-time-machine-quilter-questions-t283370.html)

lorli 10-28-2016 12:05 PM

1st time machine quilter questions.

I need the most basic advice about machine quilting. I've never done any before. Every bed size quilt I have made was given out to a long arm quilter and I have hand quilted wall hangings and small projects.

Finally, I finished a pieced quilt, started more than 2 years ago. I stopped quilting entirely then because of illness and finally got back to it a couple of months ago and it's done! It is about 70x90" and pieced (thanks, Kris, for the pattern!), combining 1" strips with 7.5" squares. It is supposed to be for a Christmas present, so I had better hurry up.

Here come the questions:
1. When I sandwich it, do I baste or use safety pins?
2. I don't have a large table or access to one and I don't even know how or where I can sandwich it.
3. Quilt-in-the-ditch would probably look best, but do I have to quilt every ditch? Some are just an inch apart.
4. The batting package says it can be quilted 10" apart, is that true? It seems like a lot.
5. Do you think I have time to do it before Christmas? The backing and binding are all cut and pieced together.
6. Any suggestions about practicing before starting?

Thank you in advance, I want to start but I'm getting really nervous about it. Ay advice at all would be wonderful.

Lorli

osewme 10-28-2016 12:20 PM

Lorli, I think you have time to finish the quilt by Christmas.
1. You can baste the three layers (back, batting, top) together with long, running thread stitches or you can pin baste it. If you don't have any, I would suggest buying the quilter's safety pins that have a bend in them. They are much easier to baste a quilt with & also to take out when you are finished.
2. I generally sandwich my quilts on the floor but when I get a chance I take it to the Senior Citizen Center in my town & they let me use one of their large folding tables. Perhaps a library would allow you to do the same thing or even a VFW Hall or school.
3. I don't think you would have to quilt in every ditch. I do a lot of quilt in the ditch & don't always do every ditch. The closer/more quilting, the stiffer the quilt.
4. 10" seems a bit far apart. I think I would do mine a little closer.
5. Yes, I think you have time to finish it by Christmas. (of course it depends on how much you sew each day...everyone has different commitments. I would be able to finish by Christmas but I am retired & have a lot of free time on my hands.)
6. I would sandwich a small piece using the same backing, batting & top pieces & thread & practice on it for the main purpose of making sure your sewing machine tension is correct. Don't forget to use a walking foot as it will keep all your layers feeding through the machine at the same rate.

I say go for it without any trepidation.

GEMRM 10-28-2016 12:41 PM

I agree with everything osewme said. If you don't have access to a large table, and the floor is too awkward, you could look at Sharon Schamber's method of using planks to fold/baste your quilt together. I think there is a you-tube about it.

bkay 10-28-2016 02:27 PM

I, too, am about to machine quilt my first quilt. I received lots of different advice. I also have the 10" batting. Mine is for a child's play quilt, so it will probably get frequent washing. I finally went down to the quilt shop, which is also where I take my quilts to be quilted. She said that 3.5 inches was the standard for how close to quilt.

bkay

bungalow59 10-28-2016 02:50 PM

Hello from California! Your questions are great! Here's my input:
Either basting or pinning works great. I prefer pinning and use the curved Quilter's pins. I pin every 3-4" across the quilt, or I rest my closed hand on the quilt, and place a pin every so often, about the width of my hand.
I now have to pin on the floor, as I don't have access to large tables. Some quilt shops will let you use their classroom tables to pin if you ask ahead of time.

I stopped quilting in the ditch years ago and now stitch 'beside the ditch' exclusively. It's quicker, less hassle, and adds a nice finish to a quilt, especially if you use today's beautiful variegated thread.

i think quilting 10" apart would be a bit skimpy, but it really depends on your likes and the design. I stay away from quilting quilts 'to death' because I think it defeats the purpose of a soft, usable quilt.

And finally, I think it's possible to finish by the holidays!

good luck to you! Post a pic when you complete your quilt!
V.

Watson 10-28-2016 03:35 PM

Of course you can finish before Christmas!
Have you considered spray basting? Maybe you don't want to get into that, but it's quick and easy.
I sandwich mine on my garage floor. I put a king size sheet down after I've swept and do it there.
I would try to put a practice sandwich together using the same fabrics and batting just so you can get your tension and stitch length how you want it before starting.

And, don't forget to wind a bunch of bobbins before you start!
Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Watson

cjsews 10-28-2016 03:58 PM

I pinbaste my quilts on the bed. I have 2 of those cardboard cutting boards that I lay on the bed so I don't pin to the bedding. ten inches is the most distance allowed for the type batting you have. Rarely would I quilt that far apart. It is acceptable but the quilt will hold up to use and abuse better if stitched closer.

osewme 10-28-2016 05:04 PM

I just watched a tutorial on Sharon Schamber's method of hand basting & it was very interesting. I may have to try that some day.

Bree123 10-28-2016 05:59 PM

1. When I sandwich it, do I baste or use safety pins? You can baste with thread, glue, basting spray or safety pins. If using safety pins, I'd suggest the curved ones (JAF or HL sell them). I prefer pin basting & place my pins a fist-width apart. I baste from the center out, in quadrants.
2. I don't have a large table or access to one and I don't even know how or where I can sandwich it. I baste on the floor.
3. Quilt-in-the-ditch would probably look best, but do I have to quilt every ditch? Some are just an inch apart. You can choose whether to quilt all the ditches ... just realize that any ditches/seams that are not quilted will puff up very slightly along the center of the seam. If it's not a show quilt, it's not really a problem.
4. The batting package says it can be quilted 10" apart, is that true? It seems like a lot. 10" for anything meant to be a utility quilt is too far apart, in my opinion. I almost never quilt farther apart than 2" in order to ensure sturdiness & longevity of the fabric and stitching. The batting instructions are only in regards to the point at which the batting starts to wear/bunch/develop issues. Your batting will be fine if you only quilt every 10", but it is really hard on the fabric. If you want to be sure your quilt will be problem-free for years to come, I'd quilt it much closer than 10". If you only plan to use the quilt for a couple years, or don't mind the occasional little fixes, 10" is fine.
5. Do you think I have time to do it before Christmas? The backing and binding are all cut and pieced together. Potentially. I've quilted quilts in that amount of time, but with the time to practice & downtime during the Thanksgiving holiday/holiday shopping/winter parties ... if you're also working full-time (that includes parenting), it might be a bit of a time crunch to baste, quilt & hand bind all before Christmas. Still, I think it's worth it to give it a try as long as you'll feel okay in the event it takes a bit longer (I know I never seem to get family quilts done in time for the actual holiday/birthday for which they were intended ... something always comes up -- usually I wear myself down with late night quilting even if I have to get up for work the next day & then end up getting sick and being unable to quilt for a week or so -- maybe one of these years I'll learn :p).
6. Any suggestions about practicing before starting? Use 50wt/2ply or 60wt/3ply thread that matches or is a shade greyer than your primary background fabric. If your walking foot comes with different soles (like Bernina), try out the different options. I like the open-toed best on my Bernina & the closed toe best on my Singer. I've never been able to get the hang of those ones with the ditch guide, but maybe that's because I use dense, high-loft batting (Warm & Plush). Also, note that "Quilting Needles" are actually for Free Motion work; for SID you're better off with either a Microtex or possibly a Top Stitch.

Edit -- Oh, and 2 more things ... (1) be sure to watch a good video on how to properly baste a quilt -- the biggest thing that got me was pulling the back too tight before taping it to the floor and (2) most importantly (can't believe I forgot this!): HAVE FUN! Quilting is super addicting & once you start you'll want to quilt all your quilts! :)

Dolphyngyrl 10-28-2016 07:23 PM

1. You can baste with pins thread or spray.
2. you can use the floor. You don't have access to a church or shop possible to baste?
3. you only have to quilt the distance the batting says. That being said I would do what you feel will look best for the quilt
4. what the package says is the max limit different types of battings have different widths
5. Yes you should have time
6. I would test tension on scraps before starting the real thing and use a fine thread if you really want the SITD to blend in