Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2 large print quilt suggestions needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2-large-print-quilt-suggestions-needed-t251487.html)

lynnie 08-07-2014 03:46 PM

2 large print quilt suggestions needed

i have 2 Alexander Henry large print angel fabs. one is red background and the other off white, same design.
what quilt block do you think i could use and not loose the angels. they are spaced out and about 4-5" each. I don't want to chop this fab up at all. but have had it for over 10 yrs and don't know what to do.

If you have suggestions other than a quilt, I'm open to it. I know someone here will come up with a great idea.

thanks in advance.

ckcowl 08-07-2014 03:53 PM

Show us pictures of the fabric and we might have some ideas. There is a book of (Big Block Quilts) but,if you really don't want to cut the fabric why not just choose coordinating fabrics and create blocks/borders around the large pieces? You could start with a. *frame* then surround with pieced blocks, then another frame....there are lots of options (think medallion style) with a center and the rest showcasing it

Jan in VA 08-07-2014 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about a square of the main print in a square in a square block.

Of if you can, cut those outer triangles using the main fabric in a way that when blocks are set side-by-side, the triangles create kaleidoscope effects, instead of using the main print in the center. Use the main fabric again in large borders.

Jan in VA

auntpiggylpn 08-07-2014 06:05 PM

I've used several of Alexander Henry's large prints for pillowcases. . .

QuiltnLady1 08-07-2014 07:24 PM

It depends on how much of the fabrics you have. You could use large pieces of the fabrics as medallions and frame it with borders of various colors (maybe even blocks) however it would look good.. Another option -- several years ago there were some large geishas in different color ways and a friend cut 2 large pieces in 2 of the color ways and put one up and left and one lower and right putting sashing and blocks with some fussy cut from the left over fabric.

Tartan 08-07-2014 08:05 PM

​Warm wishes is nice for big squares of focus fabrics.

AngeliaNR 08-07-2014 08:41 PM

I've just ordered the nine-patch pizzazz book--it might be a good fit for your fabrics. The BQ2 is also lovely.

rebeljane 08-07-2014 09:31 PM

You could try the BQ range of quilt patterns which are designed for large prints.

Maureen NJ 08-08-2014 01:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I love the Focus Pocus quilt for large scale prints. I have the fabrics...just need to do it. Charisma quilted a beauty made by Tisha.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486690[/ATTACH]

lynnie 08-08-2014 07:03 PM

thanks for some good ideas. I don't have a camera, but when i gt one, will post a pic of the fabric, and again ask this question. I like the idea of warm wishes. thanks everyone.

beautiful purples inthe quilt. love the design