Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2012-year-handmade-gifts-t173333.html)

ckcowl 12-27-2011 04:29 PM

i have been making my gifts pretty much my whole life---we were raised to make something if we wanted to give someone something special. i do buy stocking stuffers---and once in a while something special for hubby-or one of the kids but they also recieve home made gifts-- in fact my granddaughter's both called me and let me know-they would really like some new pillowcases-
they are always requesting things i can make- they love that they can get (personalized) items no one else has :)

Ginny B 12-27-2011 05:58 PM

I made quite a few things this year for Christmas -- all were received wonderfully. I made mug rugs for some special people at work, some totes and also hotpads and potholders. I'm already planning my list for next year and planning on starting soon.

johanka 12-27-2011 06:40 PM

I told my niece that I want to make lots of things(small) and next year lay them out on a bed and let the girls chose something they want or can use. The youngest is going to be 11 and there might be something he could find. I live on a fixed income and it is getting just so hard. I sew, knit and crochet, so i should be able to come up with something.:)

0tis 12-27-2011 06:49 PM

I am loving your philosophy regarding gifts - since I started quilting/sewing - I really try to make a quilt or some handmade item for birthdays and christmas - my kids (all grown) really love them and they last - the grandkids are young and have their own quilts too - I really enjoy making the gift - picking out the fabric - making it personal for that person - it brings both parties joy - so cheers to you and I think handmade is the way to go.

tatavw01 12-27-2011 09:28 PM

I agree with you!!! I'm on you ship. But, I'm going one more step further, for every dollar I don't spent on quilting stuff I will put 50.00 dollars in the bank...good luck. No more retreat with cold pizza and saggy salad for me

Painiacs 12-27-2011 09:57 PM

Good for you! I try to do this not always easy my 28 yr old son posted on fb the best gifts was the Japanese tablerunner and napking and the infrognito quilt I made were the best!! Made my day !!!!

justflyingin 12-27-2011 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 4815243)
As far as the retreats, if you get little value from them, then pick the ones that you particularly enjoy. I never went on retreats due to health problems. I feel a bit of an outsider (and very envious) since nearly every other quilter I know goes to them. But, that's the way it is.

I agree. I've never been to a quilter's retreat, either. :) I also feel pretty out of it when it comes to discussing them. But I love all the pictures people post!

justflyingin 12-27-2011 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by tatavw01 (Post 4817033)
I agree with you!!! I'm on you ship. But, I'm going one more step further, for every dollar I don't spent on quilting stuff I will put 50.00 dollars in the bank...good luck. No more retreat with cold pizza and saggy salad for me

How will you decide how much you didn't spend?

sewnbug 12-29-2011 07:23 AM

Good on ya! I bet you'll get so much joy in teaching your granddaughter to sew. That's priceless!!

sewbizgirl 12-29-2011 08:03 AM

I agree... all the shopping, shopping, shopping is disgusting to me. Even now, with the economy so bad and so many people hurting, the stores are still flooded and people are still picking over the remains. How much do we need?

I went out a couple of days after Christmas, to exchange a shirt I bought my son, and just couldn't get into shopping the after Christmas sales. There was nothing that even remotely interested me. Maybe if a quilting or yarn shop was having a huge blowout sale..... nah, not even that. I feel burned out by all the materialism.