Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2013 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2013 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2013-ufo-therapy-thread-sister-thread-2013-ufo-challenge-month-t210452.html)

gramajo 02-02-2013 05:28 AM

I finished piecing my Batik Braid from a class last fall. DD has a relatively new midarm and is quilting it for practice. I want to get the binding on so it is finished. I started my Yosemite wallhanging in Jan. It needs binding and tabs--tabs will be a first time for me. I want to finish the Rail Fence from class last fall--get it together, quilted, bound so it is finished. Rail Fence and Batik Braid will be donated to Project Linus.

wildyard 02-02-2013 11:24 AM

My goal for February is to at least get the king size quilt top pieced together and to finish a prayer shawl for my friend.

kristakz 02-02-2013 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New month, new goal. I want to quilt this one. And I am going to tackle feathers to do it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392632[/ATTACH]

petthefabric 02-02-2013 11:11 PM

".....but the actual quilting process is painful for me and takes me too long. I do it all on machine, but have to take frequent breaks due to shoulder and neck muscle spasms. It's manhandling the layered quilt that gives me the most trouble. "
Wildyard, today while a friend and I stitched, we discussed all the BEEAUUUUUtiful machines at ROAD with the larger throat space. She said she did a king size on a machine with the 5 1/2" throat. Amazing, I didn't know that would even fit. She said she could only work a short time because it was so hard to move that material being heavy and small throat space; she'd get sore shoulders and neck. She now has a machine with 9" & is doing better. I've had back problems most of my life and when a used Gammil Classic was found, I jumped on it. It's so much easier on my back. Now there are many home models of frames and long/short arm stand up and even very large throated sit down machines. At the very large quilt shows, many of the machines are there & set up for trial. Maybe this would help you neck & shoulder problems.

dublb 02-03-2013 08:38 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are my last blocks done, & all o' 'em tagether.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392818[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392819[/ATTACH]
I'm not happy about this next one. The contrast is bad & ya loose the stars. It is wonky. It is too small. It doesn't go w/all the other blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392820[/ATTACH]
I'm gonna redo it, so I guess I'm not done makin' the blocks after all.

Here is the tiny borders & sashin' I'm gonna use.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392821[/ATTACH]

Here are 3 different lay outs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392823[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392824[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392825[/ATTACH]

carriem 02-03-2013 08:43 AM

Dublb--that is going to be a pretty quilt. Maybe if you can get some of the dark blue in that block without enough contrast that would help? I like the middle layout best...I think....I really like them all. I know not much help. :)

Fraew 02-03-2013 09:36 AM

Hooray dublb! Woo hoo!

I like the middle layout. My eye is drawn to the lovely log cabin block that you just finished and my eye stops right there. With it placed on the bottom row, my eye moves through the entire layout.

Regarding the redo: I think it is just fine with the other blocks, but if you were going for stars...no I can't see them either.

Did I say I love the log cabin? He he
And the star on the bottom right?
And the....

dublb 02-03-2013 09:54 AM

I am verrrry pleased w/my logcabin. :) It was PP on graph paper. Next time I'll draw it out on graph paper & copy it onto freezer paper. I love freezer paper for PP. I can iron the fabric down & press it inta place & it doesn't move on me. I'm not fond o' pins.

wildyard 02-04-2013 07:51 AM

Wow Bev, your quilt is going to be marvelous!! The blocks already are. You do such great work; what an inspiration you are for us! My fav block is the fussy cut rose with the 9P corners.

I can happily report that I have maintained my goal of doing 5 blocks a day of the tshirt quilt.
Petthefabric, thank you for your wonderful suggestion! Wouldn't I just LOVEEEE to have one of those machines.
Sadly, there is no way my budget will stretch to allow for one, and even if it would, I just got the machine I have now a couple years ago, so no buying for me for a good long time.

Actually, because I have an actual injury and permanent damage, I think no matter how wonderful a machine I have, handling the quilt will be a problem. Well, short of having the frame and long arm. LOL. But hugggggggs and big smilessssss for thinking of me!!!

dublb 02-04-2013 09:57 AM

I just realized that I didn't respond ta ya'll comments.

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 5834917)
Dublb--that is going to be a pretty quilt. Maybe if you can get some of the dark blue in that block without enough contrast that would help? I like the middle layout best...I think....I really like them all. I know not much help. :)

Thank you Carrie. I'm leanin' t'ward the middle layout also. I'm glad that I took picts.
:)