Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2021 Quilting Goals (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2021-quilting-goals-t313519.html)

joe'smom 12-19-2020 10:12 AM

Great topic, tallchick! (I am a shortchick named Lisa, LOL.)

A couple of years ago, I began to want to understand who I am as a quilter. It seemed admirable to me that you can instantly tell an Edyta Sitar quilt, or a Tula Pink, or Bonnie Hunter. etc. What sort of quilt did I like best, and where do I want to go with my quilting? At the same time, I felt a great impatience with my stash, so I started picking out focus fabrics, organizing fabric groups around them and matching them with patterns. I was too impatient to finish the quilts -- I wanted to whip through them and get my stash under control. I started prepping, or kitting up, the quilts -- cutting, and making units to whatever point made the most sense for storing the projects. I figure that by the time I work with all of these fabric and pattern genres, I should have a better sense of what kind of quilt and what sorts of fabrics I enjoy working on/with most. My thought is that I won't necessarily finish all of these to completed quilts, but that I can donate or try to sell the tops or blocks I'm less interested in giving more time to.

So that is my goal for the coming year -- continuing the prepping project. And also, improving my bedtime habits so that I get more sleep, so my back has time to recuperate and doesn't constantly wimp out on me while I'm working.

jmoore 12-19-2020 11:11 AM

In reading through this thread, I noticed a few of you have 2021 goals regarding EQ8 so I’m wondering if it is really challenging to learn or is it something that if you don’t use it often enough you get rusty?

Watson 12-19-2020 12:54 PM

jmoore...I have found it really challenging to learn, myself. To the point where I have mostly given up. Could be just me...I'm not super computer-smart.

Watson

my-ty 12-19-2020 01:40 PM

This last year, I did a lot of playing with EQ8 (and feel comfortable with it) and very little quilting. I started some easy projects but never finished any of them.

My 2021 goals are:
  • return back to quilting
  • finish those easy projects from 2020
  • work on my UFO pile! I use a rewards system for tackling my UFOs, finish 2 UFOs allows me to start 1 new project.
Ultimate Goal: 2020 UFO count > 2021 UFO count

quiltingshorttimer 12-19-2020 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 8444465)
In reading through this thread, I noticed a few of you have 2021 goals regarding EQ8 so I’m wondering if it is really challenging to learn or is it something that if you don’t use it often enough you get rusty?

I find it easier to use than EQ7 by far, but know I'm not getting all the benefits of it that I could. I'm using it more and more but wanted to learn to do some of the modern quilt designs that I see.

Teen 12-19-2020 08:04 PM

In 2020, I was still settling in my new home and decorating, landscaping, gardening, organizing etc. My priority was to make the quilts I wanted for each room etc. I was able to do that except my master bedroom...mostly cuz I couldn’t decide on a pattern for the bed. I finished a quilt thinking that was what I wanted for bed then...changed my mind. Finally, I decided and have kitted it up. That is my next project.

1) Start/Finish Master bed quilt. (I’m starting that this week)
2) Start/Finish Baltimore Album quilt (been kitted for 2 years...this will be on-going thru the year. I’d like to complete 2-3 blocks a month)
3) Start/Finish as many kitted up projects in project boxes. (I think I have only 8 kitted quilts left to do and a myriad of pillow projects)
4) Make 2 QOV (or more if I can)
5) Use my pre-cuts
6) Stay organized

Merry Christmas!

Teen 12-19-2020 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 8444465)

I use EQ8 a lot but I know I am not using all the features. I found it pretty easy to navigate once you get going. The support staff are awesome..

Blue Button 12-19-2020 11:45 PM

2021 Quilting Goals

My 2021 goals are to first quilt my daughter's Lone Star quilt. It was supposed to be done for Christmas but I'm giving her the top. Quilting to be done later. Then I have several panels that I would like to work on and make lap quilts or wall hangings. I also have a quilt that my Great-Grandma made and it needs to be quilted. I'm torn between using the longarm or to hand quilt it. It's a School House quilt, hand and machine pieced. Over 75 years old.

ka9sdn 12-20-2020 04:51 AM

I keep trying this! Wonder when I will see results!

Watson 12-20-2020 06:06 AM

I looked back to last year's thread and my goal then was to quilt for myself, not to other people's deadlines.

I accomplished this and I will carry that over to 2021.

I also want to finish the quilting on a number of tops that I have sitting on my shelf.

If I have any pattern goals, maybe a bargello. I've never done one.

Watson