Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   24 inch square diagonal measurement cut in X (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/24-inch-square-diagonal-measurement-cut-x-t288240.html)

nativetexan 05-14-2017 06:55 AM

24 inch square diagonal measurement cut in X

I need to make new side triangles. forgot to add sashings. I have twelve inch blocks with two inch sashings. Now I need 24 inch squares cut diagonally twice. I really don't have enough fabric to do that so may add more strips to the triangles i already have. I know that will make a different looking quilt but i'm ok with that. I just want to see if i could cut new ones- if i have enough fabric.

Barb in Louisiana 05-14-2017 07:01 AM

You "could" do anything you want to. "smile" Would you mind posting a picture of what you are talking about so we can make an accurate assessment? It would help to have a link to the pattern.

nativetexan 05-14-2017 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am making another on point quilt with blks i just won. cut the triangles to fit the block size and forgot i want sashings! I cut triangles for 12 inch blocks not 16 inch! I am short of fabrics and was trying to make sure I had enough so cut first. mistake! now i need 24 inch blks cut diagonally twice! I am trying to figure if i can just add sashings to the triangle to push it out toward the edge of the quilt for a border to fit.

thimblebug6000 05-14-2017 07:21 AM

Maybe take some newspaper and measure and cut a 24" square then fold it twice diagonally so you would get a template for the shape you need? Then it might be easier to cut your setting triangles randomly rather than from a strip?

ok you posted while I was typing so this isn't going to be your solution, sorry.

nativetexan 05-14-2017 07:26 AM

that is not a bad idea!! may do exactly that. thanks.

nativetexan 05-14-2017 08:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pics of three purples I have. if i need to cut larger triangles. that would mean saving the light purple ones i have now of course.not sure i have enough of the light print one on the left.

nativetexan 05-14-2017 08:31 AM

I would need four more inches on the triangles i already have so that is a no go for me. Now i must cut more triangles. maybe the dark purple I used for the corner stones.. or the middle purple. I will check and see if i have enough of the lighter print but doubt it. On to work!

Kassaundra 05-14-2017 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No rule that says you have to add the 4 inches on the end. Add 2 2 inch strips (same as your sashing) 2 inches from the edge of the 2 sides in the dark purple to mimic the dark purple corner stones you already have. Like this only in the current purple colors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573107[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 05-14-2017 09:51 AM

that is exactly what i was going to do but I am still mulling it all over. well, right next to the sashing strips. sort of will give a zig zag look to the design. i will put all the blks together in rows and then work on that more. first i thought i'd have to add green but found i have more purples.

Battle Axe 05-15-2017 02:35 AM

Any chance you can order more fabric? This happened to me and I found another yard of fabric on the Internet. Whew.....

Marcia