Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   a 2nd machine to use as a "traveler" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2nd-machine-use-traveler-t255882.html)

meyert 10-26-2014 11:28 AM

a 2nd machine to use as a "traveler"

I have a Janome 6600 and I love it. I am very happy with the machine. A quilt shop just opened locally and I have a feeling that I will be needing to take my machine to the shop to participate in some of the workshops...but my Janome 6600 is not the easiest to carry around. I am thinking about maybe buying a 2nd machine just for taking on these types instances. I am thinking in the $200 to $300 range, and I would like one to have a carrying case.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Nammie to 7 10-26-2014 11:31 AM

A second machine is a great idea. I use Berninas and bought a 350 as my second machine. I don't know other brands of machines or their prices. I'm sure others will have good suggestions. Good luck! It's really nice that you have a new shop close to you. Have fun taking classes.

mike'sgirl 10-26-2014 11:35 AM

Featherweights are terrific portable machines. They have their own case too. It should be pretty easy to find a nice one within your budget.

PaperPrincess 10-26-2014 11:44 AM

If you are like me, you have several feet for your 6600. Make a list of features you have to have. I would then go to a Janome dealer and ask what used machines they have, in your price range, that you can use your feet on. the same bobbin also helps. Usually, dealers will provide a limited warranty on used machines.

soccertxi 10-26-2014 12:01 PM

I have a Singer 301 I paid $85 for and a sweet white FW I got for $275. I am visiting my parents and brought the FW as my carry on. Almost finished a Christmas Bento box working on blocks after dinner.

dflynn 10-26-2014 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6944287)
If you are like me, you have several feet for your 6600. Make a list of features you have to have. I would then go to a Janome dealer and ask what used machines they have, in your price range, that you can use your feet on. the same bobbin also helps. Usually, dealers will provide a limited warranty on used machines.

I second this opinion

meyert 10-26-2014 01:06 PM

This is a good idea...interchanging the feet and bobbins would be very helpful

JT 10-26-2014 01:55 PM

I have a Janome 3160. It costs more in the $500-600 range, but that was new. Maybe you could find a used one. Only 12 lbs and does everything I need. It is good to stay with the same brand if you like what you have. I had a 6500 and was in the same situation...not wanting to carry that heavy machine to workshops and sew days with friends. You could also look for a Jamome Jem. A great little machine for travel.

GingerK 10-26-2014 02:01 PM

I have a Janome Jem and it weighs in at about 8 lbs. It uses the same feet as my 'at home' Janome, and has the same (to me) most important features: variable speed, up/down needle position, extension table. It is a sweet little machine and I am planning on taking it with me to Saskatchewan in April for my Sisters' retreat.

hsweany 10-26-2014 02:19 PM

What's the name of the local shop? I may live near there.