Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is 3 layers of batting too much? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/3-layers-batting-too-much-t240955.html)

charsuewilson 02-12-2014 05:00 PM

I always use at least 3 layers, insulbrite plus 2 layers of cotton batting; or I'll use left over fabric like cotton terry cloth, old towels. t-shirts, ...

ManiacQuilter2 02-12-2014 05:24 PM

JAF.com has the 1 yard precut for sale half off very often if you don't have a JAF store nearby. It is found under stabilizer. Not sure if it is on sale now. You might even check this weekend because holidays they are know for having cheap or free shipping !!!

luvTooQuilt 02-12-2014 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson (Post 6571308)
I always use at least 3 layers, insulbrite plus 2 layers of cotton batting; or I'll use left over fabric like cotton terry cloth, old towels. t-shirts, ...

Me too.. Ill use old towels, jeans.. Whatever i can find.. 3 layers of batting if im just using batting..

Donna Mae 02-12-2014 08:25 PM

I use a layer of insulbrite and a layer of warm & natural. I make them for all the girls in the family and they love them!!

Capri 02-13-2014 01:52 AM

I am wondering if there is a way to use regular kitchen foil on the non heat side? I can't remember whether it's the buff side or shiny side that should go towards the bottom. Has anyone ever tried it?

Jeanne S 02-13-2014 05:08 AM

I think you would be OK if the batting is fairly thin (low loft) like Warm and White. In my last pot holders I used two layers of this with Insulbrite inside, so had three layers total--they were a little stiff but bendable and definitely do the job. I did use traditional binding on them, so sewing the mitered corners got a little tricky through so many layers, but I just went slow and my Juki plowed right through them all!

EvieD44 02-13-2014 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mae (Post 6571609)
I use a layer of insulbrite and a layer of warm & natural. I make them for all the girls in the family and they love them!!

Yes!! that's what I did for Christmas. But rather than having to buy the insulbrite I was wondering what other people use. I didn't even think of "old towels"

Onebyone 02-13-2014 06:57 AM

I use a layer of heavy duty aluminium foil between two pieces of batting for potholders. This is what my grandmother used when making potholders. No insulbrite back then.

EvieD44 02-13-2014 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6572211)
I use a layer of heavy duty aluminium foil between two pieces of batting for potholders. This is what my grandmother used when making potholders. No insulbrite back then.

doesn't this deteriorate and crumble with usage?? Especially if your sewing through it.........

bjgallent 02-13-2014 07:14 AM

I just made 6 hotpads. One layer of insulbrite and one layer of 100% cotton batting. I have also used 2 layers of batting. I don't like hotpads to be so stiff and thick that it is hard to use them.