Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   301 singers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/301-singers-t140847.html)

Monie 07-28-2011 06:30 AM

What is the difference between the black ones and the tan ones?

thepolyparrot 07-28-2011 06:35 AM

The color. :)

Monie 07-28-2011 06:55 AM

Most must want black seems they go for more on eBay and they are prettier than the tan. Thanks alot

Annaquilts 07-28-2011 07:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
No difference. I have a mocha and a two tone. There is supposedly more eye strain with the black one but it never bothered me with other vintage machines I own. Both my 301s sew great but DH feels the 2 tone is a little smoother and odly enough I read the same comment from another quilter. I am partial to the mocha. And yes, the black usually cost more money because of demand. Long beds are also more expensive. The long bed refers to the little flip up table to the left. A long bed will not fit in a cabinet and it also does not add to the troat space under the arm which is desirable for quilting. So the term long arm refers in this case to something other then what most of us consider a long arm.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-28-2011 07:26 AM

They DO go for more- I noticed the same thing. Maybe there are fewer available?? I don't know.
I have a tan long bed and love it :) I actually prefer the lighter color.

bearisgray 07-28-2011 09:13 AM

to annaquilts -

beautiful cabinet -

I also thought that the "long arm" referred to the throat space! Thanks for info.

I acquired a 404 a couple of years ago. I was going to dump it until a sewing machine man said that it was "a good machine"

Annaquilts 07-28-2011 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
to annaquilts -

beautiful cabinet -

I also thought that the "long arm" referred to the throat space! Thanks for info.

I acquired a 404 a couple of years ago. I was going to dump it until a sewing machine man said that it was "a good machine"

Yes, I thought long arm also meant throat opening but it does not. Once I realized that and once I was able to identify Singer 301 also in the mocha and two tone I was able to find some for a very reasonable price. No need to hold out for a black one or long bed unless you want it for esthetic reasons. I also prefer to work on one of the lighter colored machines. Even with my Feather weights I grab my white one over the black on.

Monie 07-28-2011 09:36 AM

Thank you now I won't just be looking for black.

Annaquilts 07-28-2011 09:54 AM

Hope you find one soon. They are wonderful machines and many of us prefer to sew on them over the Feather Weight. They are also portable (16lb) and have a built in metal cary handle but are full size unlike the 3/4 size Feather weight.

Originally Posted by Monie
Thank you now I won't just be looking for black.

jljack 07-28-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
The color. :)

Yep. Color is the only difference.