Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   44/45" fabric is now 40/42"??? Ugh!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/44-45-fabric-now-40-42-ugh-t183929.html)

nhweaver 03-25-2012 05:07 AM

44/45" fabric is now 40/42"??? Ugh!!

Just a complaint from a grouchy, almost over the flu, soon to be 65 years old quilter. I planned my 10 kids' flannel donation quilts to be about 39" wide (washed fabric) to be frugal with the backings. Well, first I did the no no and bought some from JoAnns online (only one pilled-and only one was thin). Lucked out there, after all the hoopla about JoAnn's flannel, I bought the backings from Connecting threads and fabric.com. Before I washed the backings, I wanted to see how well they went with the tops. Well, 3 of them are 40/41" before washing!!!!, the widths are all different on the rest. What a rip off, is the new standard 41/42"? Or barely that width? I haven't been buying much new fabric, as I want to reduce my stash - is anyone else seeing the width reduction? Is it all new lines of fabric? And the better quality brands too?

mighty 03-25-2012 05:53 AM

Seems to be with a lot of fabric. I measure it when I get it home and alot of it is!!

Tartan 03-25-2012 06:38 AM

I have been seeing that written here on the QB lately. I think we will all have to bring a tape measure to our LQS when buying new lines and check the widths when buying on line. Another pet peeve of mine is...2 inch selvages! I searched for a certain fabric for a hamburger bun applique and when I found it, it had a 2 inch wide white strip along the selvage with the fabric line and maker's name on it. I still bought a quarter yard but I was peeved. I would have left it on the shelf but it was the perfect colour and I didn't want to go back to searching.

Sweeterthanwine 03-25-2012 06:49 AM

I've noticed this to and I think it is a rip-off. The stores selling fabric, even the online stores, should bring this to our attention so we know exactly what we are getting instead of getting it home and then discover the difference. Notice they didn't lower their prices any!!

dunster 03-25-2012 07:22 AM

I generally expect to have 38-40" usable fabric after washing. I hope your new purchase doesn't shrink too much. If it does, perhaps you could just sew a narrow strip of a contrasting fabric, maybe something left over from the front, into the backing, making it that much bigger. I know it's a pain to have to piece your back when you had planned the quilt to avoid that. Gotta tell you, life's tough after 65! Have a happy birthday.

ghostrider 03-25-2012 07:38 AM

I never plan on more than 40" of useable fabric width...less for big shrinkers like flannel and muslin. Forty-five inch wide fabric went the way of the half gallon of ice cream quite some time ago.

davis2se 03-25-2012 08:20 AM

I guess it is like a lot of the things we buy....1 lb cans have slowely gone down to 14.5 ounces or even 12.0 ounces. Bacon is often regularly sold in 12 oz p, pasta's are being sold in smaller increments - for more money. Can't wait until some packaging genius tries to make the gallon of gas smaller than a gallon.................

Liz92B 03-25-2012 08:40 AM

it's called how to raise prices without anybody "noticing" ... make the product smaller, keep the price the same!
I've been quilting for only two(?) years now, and I've never had fabric that was 44/45" wide...

babyboomerquilter 03-25-2012 09:14 AM

I was used to getting 44 - 45 inch fabric. Nowadays, it is mostly all smaller, so I take my tape measure with me. Online, I will not buy it unless it states the size.

ShabbyTabby 03-25-2012 10:06 AM

The "downsizing" seems to affect everything these days. I bought 4 cans of tuna the other day and they are now 4 oz when they all used to be 6 oz and no price reduction either! No more coffee 1#'s either....just another way to fuel corporate greed.