Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   45 degree boarder math?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/45-degree-boarder-math-t109880.html)

justwannaquilt 03-22-2011 05:52 PM

I can do the math if I know the equation but in this case I don't even know that there IS an equation other than trial and error! lol which I would REALLY like to avoid at this point.

So here is the question, what if any is the equation for making boarders. I know measure the quilt length first and add side boarders I know all that mess, but when you are putting strips together to make a boarder and you are doing the 45 degree seams how much extra do I need to add to the total length so I am not wasting a bunch of fabric? Does it depend on how wide your boarder is going to be? Should I add X inches for each seam needed to get the total length?

Maybe I am just making it way to complicated and I don't have to add anything other than the usual 1/4 inch to either piece for seam. lol It just seems like your cutting way more off when doing a 45 degree match up.

qltncat 03-22-2011 05:55 PM

Good question. I can't wait to see the responses.

I love to make mitered corners, because I love the look of them. But to date I still waste a lot of fabric because I can't even figure an approximate.

Linda

DogHouseMom 03-22-2011 06:04 PM

Are you asking how much extra border length on each side to MITER the border corners?

No math, if your border is 5" wide all around, then your borders need to be 10" longer + a little fudge room if you want to be safe.

IOW - each border corner needs to extend at least to the outside edge of the connecting border.

luckylindy333 03-22-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by qltncat
Good question. I can't wait to see the responses.

I love to make mitered corners, because I love the look of them. But to date I still waste a lot of fabric because I can't even figure an approximate.

Linda

I am with you, I do not attempt them...

qltncat 03-22-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Are you asking how much extra border length on each side to MITER the border corners?

No math, if your border is 5" wide all around, then your borders need to be 10" longer + a little fudge room if you want to be safe.

IOW - each border corner needs to extend at least to the outside edge of the connecting border.

Are you saying the 45 degrees' farthest point should be twice the width of the border + wiggle room?

Thanks.

Scissor Queen 03-22-2011 06:28 PM

For every mitered seam you'll lose a square equal to the width of the borders. If they're 8 inches wide for each seam you need an extra 8 inches.

MTS 03-22-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
For every mitered seam you'll lose a square equal to the width of the borders. If they're 8 inches wide for each seam you need an extra 8 inches.

Huh? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If the border is cut 8" wide and the quilt center is X inches long, wouldn't I need an additional 16" in length? So the border would be cut x+16, right?

Scissor Queen 03-22-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Huh? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If the border is cut 8" wide and the quilt center is X inches long, wouldn't I need an additional 16" in length? So the border would be cut x+16, right?

If you're doing two mitered corner seams you'll need 16 inches extra on an 8 inch wide border. If you're cutting cross grain strips and seaming them together in the middle then you'll need another 8 inches for each one of those seams too.

MTS 03-22-2011 07:19 PM

Deleted for being totally irrelevant to the conversation. :wink:

AudreyB 03-22-2011 07:25 PM

The formula is X + 2Y + 1 inch
X = length of quilt top (normal border length)
Y = width of border
1 inch = 1 inch

You need the normal length for the border plus twice the width of the border plus one inch.

A 60 inch quilt with an 8 inch border would need a minumum of:
60 + 8 + 8 + 1 = 77