Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   52x74 Why that size for a Quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/52x74-why-size-quilt-t50582.html)

luv-e 06-20-2010 05:49 PM

Went looking for a pattern in magazines and most all are made with 52x74 size more or less.
Why do they do that?? There isn't a conversion chart either. :cry:
Does anyone know the reason??

seamstome 06-20-2010 05:51 PM

That would fit my daybed with a drop on the front but none on the back or ends.

raptureready 06-20-2010 05:51 PM

What size are you wanting to make? I think it's because that's kind of a "middle of the road" size between wall hangings and King. Of course I could be wrong, I have been before.

luv-e 06-20-2010 05:57 PM

It is just a general observation of magazines. I do want to make a Qn size. I was thinking it was because they are fast to make???

ghostrider 06-20-2010 05:58 PM

That's considered lap quilt size. "LAP: Usually between 52" - 68" wide and the length can be from about 52" - 78"."

Eddie 06-20-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
That's considered lap quilt size. "LAP: Usually between 52" - 68" wide and the length can be from about 52" - 78"."

What GR said. ^^^ Generally, it seems magazine mostly publish lap size quilt patterns. I think it's because they want people to try to accomplish an obtainable goal (finish a quilt) and the lap size is one step up from a crib sized, so is something that people would actually be inclined to use when done.

luv-e 06-20-2010 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie

Originally Posted by ghostrider

What GR said. ^^^ Generally, it seems magazine mostly publish lap size quilt patterns. I think it's because they want people to try to accomplish an obtainable goal (finish a quilt) and the lap size is one step up from a crib sized, so is something that people would actually be inclined to use when done.

GR was right in the lap quilt but Eddie you said what I was thinking. An obtainable goal to finish and move on to the next quilt. thanks, Eddie
Thanks Everyone Very Helpful

bearisgray 06-20-2010 06:09 PM

I call it "couch size" - although my idea of couch size is about 60 x 80 - big enough to cover a short adult up if they fall asleep on the couch.

A double size bed mattress is 54 x 75 - maybe it's considered a "topper"

luv-e 06-20-2010 06:11 PM

I just don't understand why they don't make them or put the sizes of Qn and Kg in magazine too??
Maybe I need new magazines?? lol lol

justwannaquilt 06-20-2010 06:21 PM

That wouldn't even cover my husbands as a couch quilt! lol I feel your frusteration and I usually end up either making or adding blocks or making larger blocks to get the size I want. Never let a pattern size stand in your way if you like the quilt.