Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   5th Grade quilting project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/5th-grade-quilting-project-t14235.html)

Queen 12-08-2008 12:17 PM

Today is the first day of the 5th grade quilting project. It is a pot holder size quilt that the kids are quilting by hand. This is the fifth year that I have been involved. They also embroider their names on the back and have a little poem that they attach on the back. There are a total of 51 kids.
I started helping out when my kids were in the fifth grade and it has blossomed to where I help out every year. The kids are doing a terrific job and I love doing it . I still have my mine. I have noticed that there could be future quilters in that class.

Mary

redrummy 12-08-2008 01:06 PM

that sounds like a wonderful thing you are doing. At that age they are so willing to try new things. try to get us some pics, I'll bet I'm not the only one wanting to see some.

Dawn Hendrix 12-08-2008 01:11 PM

How cool is that .... GREAT JOB!

barnbum 12-08-2008 02:41 PM

I teach 5th grade and I think that's GREAT!! I'd love to see some!

I had a small group of 6th graders, and twice had my 5th grade class make two small quilts for the Linus Project. But--23 needles and threading them..and having to resew lots before it was good to go... .aaargh. Too much for one adult. :shock:

tlrnhi 12-08-2008 05:27 PM

Need to see pictures of the kids and potholders!!!

sewsewquilter 12-08-2008 05:57 PM

What fun! Please pictures when they are done.

Rose Hall 12-09-2008 06:58 AM

I would love to see pictures also, but remember some schools have restrictions on pictures of students. make sure you check first. The actual potholders should not be a problem.
I am a librarian in my day job and am the one who monitors the "refusal" forms when we get requests from the newspapers, local news stations, etc.

Rose Hall

MsSage 12-09-2008 08:46 AM

I use to send out a letter to the classes I was going to take pictiures of and I only had 1 come back a refusal.
If you tell the parents why your taking pictures and where the photos will be and there will be NO personal info about the children you will not have any problems.
Make a copy of the signed form and give it to the office.

Even posting the pictures on the web is ok if you follow the No person info rule. Take the picture down after a couple weeks.

I had all my 5th graders "adopt" a rancher my last 2 years and I had their pictures up and posted on a ranchers site about what the kids were doing and what they had learned. The ranchers sent letter and pcitures and emails to the kids about what the cows were doing. The parents enjoyed being able to see thier children learning from other adults.

Joan 12-09-2008 09:46 AM

Mary, you do know that you are creating memories for these fifth graders that they will never forget. (and you may just be inspiring some to become quilters, too) I know they probably thank you plenty for your time and inspiration but I want to personally thank you as well. Not everyone has the patience to work with children, you are one talented lady for taking on this project. If it works out, we would love to see some pics. Happy Holidays!

Queen 12-10-2008 02:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the third day and I am exhausted but happy. I have only had one student that has been very stubborn about the project. Not bad for 51 students. Most kids have only to stitch down the binding. Thursday will be only a half day for me and Friday they should be done. Yea!

Mary