Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   65% cotton - 35% polyester (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/65%25-cotton-35%25-polyester-t280019.html)

bearisgray 06-29-2016 05:40 AM

65% cotton - 35% polyester

Are any of you willing to use this blend in garments or for quilting?

ManiacQuilter2 06-29-2016 05:49 AM

I don't mind it in garment but I am a traditionalist with what I put in my quilts.

Lee in Richmond 06-29-2016 06:25 AM

I learned not to use it in quilting, as it shrinks when cut and there is no give in the weave to work it out. I do use it in fashion sewing, like the way it washes up.

PaperPrincess 06-29-2016 06:26 AM

Only if I really , really , really need a specific color & can't find it in cotton, and then if it's only a small part of the overall quilt.

Feathers-N-Fur 06-29-2016 06:38 AM

I've used 60/40 sheets in several quilts with no problems. Never tried it, that I know, of in yardage.

Quilter 65 06-29-2016 02:17 PM

Well, funny this should post now. I have a piece of fabric that I love. After getting the complimentary colors all lined up, it occurred to me that this fabric felt "different". It also behaves "differently". I swear it is poly/cotton blend, but was purchased at LQS shop. I am treating this as a learning experience. I will say probably never again, but it is so pretty and I actually think the quilt top is fairly attractive as well.

suern3 06-29-2016 02:42 PM

The problem I've had with blends was that the are difficult to press or iron. Found this problem when I used the blend for some other sewing, not in a quilt and for that reason avoid them for making a quilt.

Shelbie 06-29-2016 03:26 PM

I have used poly/cotton in Hallowe'em costumes, linings in bags and aprons and sometimes in quilts for the Youth Shelter that really get a lot of hard use. I've also used it for picnic quilts, a quilt for the car or a dog bed. I don't like the way it behaves as compared to cotton. It does wash and wear well and will work if you have nothing else. Mennonites in our area often use it in their quilts but I'd rather work with cotton. I have used poly/cotton sheets quite successfully as backings but their fibre content usually has a higher percentage of cotton than the poly/cotton yardage. The poly/cotton on the bolt here in Canada is usually 65% polyester and 35% cotton which does make a difference.

Bree123 06-29-2016 03:29 PM

Absolutely for garments or home dec sewing.

I would only put it in a quilt if it was going on the wall (i.e., an Art Quilt). And even then, only if it were meant to be a fun piece. Synthetic fibers behave very differently from cotton fibers. I like my quilts to last a very, very long time. Over the decades, poly fibers will hold their color & most of their strength while cotton fibers fade & break down, so in a blend, the poly fibers actually cause the cotton fibers to snap more quickly than they would on their own. Blends don't always work well with fusible & will launder/iron differently than 100% cotton. In a garment that is maybe going to last 5-10 years at the most, none of that's an issue. With a quilt that I hope lasts 50+ years, all those little things make a difference to me.

Jeanne S 06-29-2016 03:50 PM

I have used a cotton blend in my quilts on occasion. Didn't have any problems with it. But sometimes the blends can't take the hot iron on cotton setting, so I lowered the heat setting on my iron when piecing. Once the quilt is done I can't tell any difference!!