Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ??????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/a-t101092.html)

wvhill22 02-19-2011 07:09 AM

I have made a king size quilt in three sections. I am going to quilt each section on my machine and then sew them together. my question is should I put the borders (I am putting an inner and an outer border on) on now on each section or wait till i sew all the sections together and then put the borders on. Im thinking it would look better if I put them on after I sew the sections together and I can probably manage to quilt the borders on my machine and it would be less seams..what do you think?

shawnemily 02-19-2011 07:11 AM

I can't help you but I must say your fur baby is gorgeous!!

Butterflyblue 02-19-2011 07:21 AM

I'm doing a queen quilt in sections, and that is what I am doing. I figure having the side borders be one long continuous piece will look much better and be easy enough to quilt on the machine since they are at the edges. However, I haven't actually finished it yet, so I can't tell you if it is actually going to work like that. :)

dunster 02-19-2011 07:24 AM

I think the answer depends on the nature of your borders. I've quilted several quilts in sections, using different techniques. When the wide outer border was pieced (e.g. piano keys), I added the border before piecing that section. (I also had a narrow inner border, but it didn't matter if that one had a couple of seams in it.) However, if your outer border is solid or a small print, and you don't want to see seams in it, then add and quilt it after quilting the center.

Machine Quilting in Sections, by Marti Michell, was a big help to me in deciding how to partition a large quilt.

wvhill22 02-19-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I think the answer depends on the nature of your borders. I've quilted several quilts in sections, using different techniques. When the wide outer border was pieced (e.g. piano keys), I added the border before piecing that section. (I also had a narrow inner border, but it didn't matter if that one had a couple of seams in it.) However, if your outer border is solid or a small print, and you don't want to see seams in it, then add and quilt it after quilting the center.

Machine Quilting in Sections, by Marti Michell, was a big help to me in deciding how to partition a large quilt.

thank you. i just ordered the book. I will wait till it comes in

bamamama 02-19-2011 12:05 PM

You are brave to do a King on your sewing machine. Thats why I bought the Tin Lizzie. We have 3 King size beds in our house and I could not handle more than a lap quilt on the sewing machine. Good Luck.

Your puppy looks alot like my dog Ginger. She was a sweet dog that we had for years and years, I miss her.

wvhill22 02-19-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
You are brave to do a King on your sewing machine. Thats why I bought the Tin Lizzie. We have 3 King size beds in our house and I could not handle more than a lap quilt on the sewing machine. Good Luck.

Your puppy looks alot like my dog Ginger. She was a sweet dog that we had for years and years, I miss her.

this is abby she is gone too. last summer. I really miss her as well

deema 02-19-2011 12:17 PM

I've read about a technique where you piece the whole top, layer the quilt, and then cut *just* the batting in three large sections. Pull away the two outside sections and the fabric from the top and back are easier to handle than having the batting in there too, quilt the middle section first, attach batting on one side and quilt that next, then attach the batting on the other side and quilt that.

This would eliminate the need to fuss with the borders...but you would eventually have the whole quilt to finangle while you quilt that last section.

SuziC 02-19-2011 01:47 PM

I would do the borders after the entire quilt is quilted and put together.

susie-susie-susie 02-19-2011 04:45 PM

I would do the borders in one piece after the rest is quilted and put together. I think that would look better. It shouldn't be too hard to quilt since it will be on the outside and you will not be putting the whole quilt through your machine.
Sue