Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   about commercially dyed fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-commercially-dyed-fabrics-t186394.html)

bearisgray 04-17-2012 11:04 AM

about commercially dyed fabrics

Why in the world should it be necessary to use any type of dye setting product on a commercially dyed fabric?

I can understand and tolerate excess dye that washes out in one or two washes, but shouldn't a fabric dyeing process be "complete" and the dye "set" when it leaves the mill/factory??

Lori S 04-17-2012 11:12 AM

I too share in your need to rant about this issue. It just ... pushes my buttons , chaps my......, frosts my...that fabrics are still sold that run and bleed. In an era that has seen so much , putting a man on the moon, can talk on the phone virtually from any place any time, can acess an infinate about of information at the touch of mouse..... but we still can't/won't produce fabric that does not bleed/run.
Back' in the day" some manufactures actually had on the bolt end all of the processes , sanforized/mercerized etc that was used in the process of that particular fabric.

sandy l 04-17-2012 11:45 AM

I agree allso, especially when it's a well known brand. I purchased some black Kona, took it home and washed it 3 times and it never quit bleeding. I did return it to the purchaser and got my money back. They said they would return it to the manafacture along with the remainder of the bolt. That part was good, but I had to find something else, purchase it, wash it and waste time doing so. Oh, well, rant done.

mhansen6 04-17-2012 11:49 AM

I agree and fabric shouldn't shrink, including fabric in clothing. Nothing worse than a pair of jeans shrinking 2 inches in length.

bearisgray 04-17-2012 11:59 AM

The shrinkage part of fabric I can handle - although I am puzzled about why some fabrics have little or no shrinkage and others have a lot.

PaperPrincess 04-17-2012 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6 (Post 5148876)
I agree and fabric shouldn't shrink, including fabric in clothing. Nothing worse than a pair of jeans shrinking 2 inches in length.

Gee, my jeans seem to shrink around the waist ;-)

PaperPrincess 04-17-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5148897)
The shrinkage part of fabric I can handle - although I am puzzled about why some fabrics have little or no shrinkage and others have a lot.

OK, I hate to bring up the wash/not wash issue again, but... I always prewashed. After joining this board and reading that many do not, I started to measure my fabric before & after washing. I found everything I washed measured the same before and after. 1 yard in, 1 yard out, 4 yards in, 4 yards out etc. I always washed the entire yardage I bought. So I was starting to think I was wasting my time & energy and was going to stop. About a month ago, I got a deal at my LQS and bought most of a bolt. I only needed a yard, so I cut a yard and washed it. It had a bit of metallic, and i wanted to see if it dulled, so I laid it on the uncut portion. To my amazement, it shrunk 2" WOF. I never measured this! Since then I've started taking this measurement too and I have found that EVERYTHING (except batiks) I've washed shrinks WOF. LQS brands, WallMart, JoAnn everything. I think I would be OK if the shrinkage were the same in both directions, but not in one direction only. Anyone else notice this?

12yearrquilt 04-17-2012 01:11 PM

I am a beginning quilter, and joined a local quilt guild. I signed up for the "mystery quilt" bought the fabrid called for, wahed it, and it shrunk. Thought it was because i bought bafgain fabric: went to quilt store and bought it again. it is in the machine now. Hope it doesn't shrink. I did buy more than was called for. Many years ago, I made most of my and childrens clothes--also husbabnds shirts. Always had enough fabric just buying what was called for. I can't imagine sewing and not washing first, but some do not wash I am told. Why? dont they have problems with shrinking and/or colors running?

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5149029)
OK, I hate to bring up the wash/not wash issue again, but... I always prewashed. After joining this board and reading that many do not, I started to measure my fabric before & after washing. I found everything I washed measured the same before and after. 1 yard in, 1 yard out, 4 yards in, 4 yards out etc. I always washed the entire yardage I bought. So I was starting to think I was wasting my time & energy and was going to stop. About a month ago, I got a deal at my LQS and bought most of a bolt. I only needed a yard, so I cut a yard and washed it. It had a bit of metallic, and i wanted to see if it dulled, so I laid it on the uncut portion. To my amazement, it shrunk 2" WOF. I never measured this! Since then I've started taking this measurement too and I have found that EVERYTHING (except batiks) I've washed shrinks WOF. LQS brands, WallMart, JoAnn everything. I think I would be OK if the shrinkage were the same in both directions, but not in one direction only. Anyone else notice this?

bearisgray 04-17-2012 01:25 PM

One of the times I did not wash the fabric before making something out of it - ("pillowcases" for couch cushions) - they were nice and roomy when I made them - and I've ONLY washed them on tepid or cool water since - now I need to cram the cushions back in them. And that's when they are still damp. I'm guessing there was at least 2 inches WOF shrinkage in that piece.

Yes, I've noticed that many fabrics seem to shrink more in one direction than the other.

ckcowl 04-17-2012 01:26 PM

one of the problems manufacturers have with dyes is....we are all different- we all use different detergents, wash in different ways- they can not test & (combat) all of the differences- their fabric may be colorfast in the plant with what they use- but then you buy it & use something different---and oops---that one made it bleed-
if you check the end of a cotton bolt it always says to wash in cold water- many people use warm or hot-
there are many variables- they use the most dependable dyes possible and treat the fabrics as well as they can- but we get our hands on them & do things differently than they do---they have no control over that-
if you are using dark (saturated) dyed fabrics it is always a good idea to prewash them to avoid unpleasant issues in a finished quilt- or at least test-
and remember if you are giving (or selling) the quilt the next person may not use what you use- or do it your way---i made my mom a quilt years ago---she loves- i did pre-wash (it has alot of purple batiks in it) nothing was showing any bleeding when i pieced the quilt- the detergent she uses is much more (harsh) than what i use---all of the white in that quilt (which is alot) is now lavender & deeper purple---she still loves it- it breaks my heart everytime i see it---she didn't even realize it---when i saw it and said---what the heck happened to your quilt???she didn't know what i was talking about---then i said---well - it was white when i gave it to you! she just said- well it is still beautiful & it didn't want to be white i guess...
that detergent she uses takes the color out of EVERYTHING - regardless of how old it is or how many times something has been washed & been stable.